Author Topic: Problems  (Read 1312 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Problems
« on: May 08, 2019, 19:26:46 »
Hi All,

Having a few problems and need help and advice please

I have a few problems with carrots, one lot in greenhouse are small and have a flower forming on one which i have decided to leave for now and hope to harvest the seed. Another lot outside we have been gradually cropping but last lot i have had to bin as there is a hard woody ring forming around the middle so have these gone over should i just bin the last of them?

Parsnips outside have lots of leaf but the parsnips are small and again woody but this time all the way though.

Garlic, I transfered a tray of garlic over having hardened them off from greenhouse. These were planted into perminant place 2 weeks ago and all the foliage flopped over last week and have not recovered have i lost these?

Welcome any assistance and advice please and thanks x

Cam

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 19:40:37 »
When did you sow/plant the carrots and parsnips?  If they're last year's crops they will be going woody.   If not, they've been thirsty.

Garlic is hardy and should be planted directly outside as it needs to be frosted to get the cloves to form.  Have a look at this - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=677
Obxx - Vendée France

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 19:58:39 »
Hi

yes parsnips and carrots were both last year but maybe put to many in as we have been eating them for a few months. Will pull these up and pass on to friends bunnies.

Garlic was sown outdoors but in modules they went into the greenhouse by accident for few weeks when neighbour looked after garden for me although no harm seamed to be done at time.

cam

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 20:18:01 »
Is it planted out now?  Its been cold enough lately for it to think it's had a bit of winter!
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 20:42:43 »
The right time to plant garlic is October or November.  Very early spring at the very latest.  You are a bit out of synch there.  Garlic does not need hardening off.  Get them outside fast but don't expect to get a good harvest with big bulbs.  Then get those cloves back into the soil outside in October to give them the best chance for next year. 

If carrots are small, they may not be the best to propagate from.  Here is Real Seeds advice for carrot seed saving: http://www.realseeds.co.uk/carrots.html

You can select the largest of the remaining parsnips, a dozen at least, replant them and let them flower and seed, if that appeals.  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal