Author Topic: leeks  (Read 4403 times)

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
Re: leeks
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 14:32:12 »
If you screw a shelf bracket about a foot from the end of a broom handle you have a long dibber and don't have to bend down to make the holes. Just push on the bracket with your foot. Still have to bend down to put the leeks in of course. But at least it makes dibbering easy.  8)
Who planted all these weeds?

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 14:44:13 »
Do leeks look like spring onions when they are small?  I have just found a pot in my garden that I probably put some seeds into last summer/autumn and when I pulled 9 of them out of the pot they had a white bulb on the bottom - the stems are less that a pencil thick  :-\  Sorry, I'm being a bit thick but have never grown leeks before and am sure I didn't plant any spring onions.

Have repotted them but it would be handy to know what they are (reminder to self - label everything).

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 14:48:19 »
I don't 'dib' twice. Dib, insert leek, pour water round hole edge. This floods hole with water AND very watery soil. The plant has to have the soil to support it.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 22:36:13 »
Yup lazy, my spring onions, chives and leeks all look the same as seedlings. ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 07:14:51 »
I have a breed of tommies called 'Buffallo' which come up looking like leeks. I almost threw them out last year!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 10:51:18 »
Right, have soaked my tray of leeks in water, just hoping they start to perk up now  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 11:00:37 »
Where am I going to stick all the leeks I have sown in trays?
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 13:27:57 »
Are we late with our leeks?  We seem to be late this year as no seeds have been sown yet.  Last year we were early.  Hopefully next year we'll be just right.

Our leek dibber is the positive result of me snapping the end off the half moon edging tool.  It's great as it's got a t-handle and a point.  I also use it to stab the compost heap.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 14:36:45 »
I've not done leeks yet - always behind that's me  :)  Or is it that everyone else is too far in front?  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 14:53:57 »
Wardy, I have noticed that the peeps on here seem a bit 'keen' compared to the people on my allotment  when it comes to sowing and planting.  Or maybe it is just us in the frozen north.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 19:40:01 »
Still plenty of time to sow leeks folks.
A bit keen means impatient!!! I wanna do things, but am controlling myself by leaving the runners/french beans, sweetcorn and squashes (except one ball type courgette) seeds alone.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

summergirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 17:54:09 »
Having finally bought some seeds, I'm eager to get going.  But need some help please.
The packet talks about sowing outdoors, and then about planting out when they're 6 " high.   Can I sow seeds straight into their final space, then pr*ck out?  If not, why not.  Thanks SG

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2005, 20:47:18 »
Probably because you'll have to earth up very high when they start growing. The seedlings normally go in a deep dibber hole that you don't fill in, just set them in and water a bit so some soil will fall into the hole. Actually I dib the holes in a little ditch. When they grow I just earth up by filling the ditch little by little and in the end only a small mound will be needed. After all, you want as much white stalk as possible.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal