Author Topic: Paper pots-hmmm  (Read 2407 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Paper pots-hmmm
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:40:46 »
So I’ve had a great origami time making cube paper pots, delighted that they fit 9 into a tray. Potted up well but they are disintegrating before my eyes! They won’t hold on till time to plant out. Is my newspaper just inferior quality or is this usual experience?!

pumkinlover

Re: Paper pots-hmmm
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:59:29 »
I tied it years ago, worked fairly well. Maybe paper quality has changed.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:17:39 »
Not had that problem either.  Do you water overhead?  How many layers is your newspaper pot wall?  What design are you using?  I roll over a former, like an empty spice jar etc, then fold the bottom over and squeeze it.  The sides are probably 3-5 layers of newspaper depending on the size of the pot.  It depends on how many turns I roll around the former. 

Maybe you are using a different technique with less paper.  I use this method but without the sticky tape.  A tin makes quite a large pot, a spice jar a smaller one, there are many formers to choose from.  :wave: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqywwIr5-aI

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 13:39:06 »
I think in parts that it’s only 2 layers thick so that’s the problem. If I make them again i’ll have to double up the paper from the outset. I was pleased to find a u shape rather than circular but it hasn’t quite worked according to plan!

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 21:05:11 »
I use one sheet (cut down the fold between pages) folded in half and wrapped around a polish spray can. Makes tall narrow pots just right for my sweetcorn, so I can transplant the whole pot/plant without disturbance :D

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:32:35 »
Like Galina, I use multiple thicknesses.  I also use the insides of old toilet/kitchen towel rolls which I accumulate over the winter for just this sort of thing.  One toilet roll gives two cardboard pots and they stay together long enough to produce viable seedlings if watered carefully.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal