Author Topic: Nasty wooly things on me blackcurrants  (Read 2153 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Nasty wooly things on me blackcurrants
« on: May 05, 2019, 19:40:33 »
It looks like I have those woolly scale boggits on one of my black currant bushes. Should I attempt to get them off or just pull the bush out and burn it?  The guy  few plots down has grape vines and I would hate for it to sprea, his vines have been clean and well established for years.   :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Nasty wooly things on me blackcurrants
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 20:23:07 »

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 09:33:31 »
Morning TeeGee, what I'm seeing looks like white blight, but when you touch it its very sticky, with some sort of boggitt inside.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 10:03:47 »
OK willl try again is it this?

If it is it is Cuckoo spit

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=490

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 10:43:35 »
No, its not cuckoo spit, the frog hoppers are yellow green. This white stuff is more like white VERY. sticky candyfloss. If you touch it it sticks to your fingers and stretches. Its a devil to get of your hands, and whatever is inside is black.  I would take a pic but I had a new hone yesterday and i'm still getting my head round how things wo

Just found a pic on the web. It looks like its, "pulvinaria vitis".  Should I get rid of the bush, or is ere something else I can try?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:55:28 by Tiny Clanger »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 13:04:42 »
This link may help
https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/blackcurrants/blackcurrant-pest.php

Personally I don't think there is a need to get rid of your plants, I think a combination of hand removal and pruning out the worst affected areas should suffice. I think it is worth a try at least then once you se the results then decide if you want to replace them!

Best of luck!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 16:21:13 »
Thanks TeeGee. I'll have a go at cleaning it up. Might be ableto get some off with soapy water. Its very sticky - yuck. Thanks again.  :blob7:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal