Author Topic: HEMEROCALLIS (FINAL TOUCH ) EATING BULBS  (Read 1277 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
HEMEROCALLIS (FINAL TOUCH ) EATING BULBS
« on: May 02, 2019, 11:26:03 »
Greetings all,I was asking about edible plants to grow along with our beans etc....and was told about this beautiful plant...I think it deserves to be among judes other Lillies as I think it would be lost among my growing area......

so I just wanted to know if anybody else had consumed either the buds or pettles or any other part of the plant once its grown and blossomed.

Thanks

Gazza.

gazza1960

• Hectare
Re: HEMEROCALLIS (FINAL TOUCH ) EATING BULBS
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:49:25 »
just went and got some violas,hollyhocks and calendulas as these are not only pretty but all edibles.....be nice to add some colour to my little growing area I can munch on

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 20:50:11 »
Nice to hear from you Gazza.
I keep meaning to try edible flowers then forget!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 21:13:47 »
Once upon a time we were trying to get enough varieties for a national collection, got up to about six hundred then realised we needed at least a thousand to qualify so I still have quite a few dotted about and they do split easy so loads of my friends have them as well. People mistakenly rate them a poisonous because of the lily tab. I eat them quite often, even chewing a bit of raw root when replanting. The flowers brighten up a salad. I have never eaten the leaves but the white fleshy bit at the bottom is nice dipped in mayo. Get some of the spidery blooms to decorate your meals. Every flower you pull off makes another one start. They come in all colours my favourites are the white and purple variations.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 21:19:43 »
One had to be binned because it always had that fungal thing which sends the flowers funny. But the other variety stayed good. Can't remember the names though, I'd be useless if I had 600!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 19:55:28 »
Cheers Ace.....well its in so lets see how it copes.....the Lilly is judes favourite flower as we have a few other varieties in the garden already doing their thing each year.....apart from the red mite they seem to do ok.....will be interesting to pluck a few parts and serve them like I do.....

yer nice to say hello pumpkinlover......not having a plot anymore just a tiny bit of dirt to grow in...never felt the same I drive past the plots 5 mins from me but all are well used and the queue is bloody years....so I just grow my little bit each season and we enjoy it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal