Author Topic: Dividing alchemilla mollis  (Read 3493 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Dividing alchemilla mollis
« on: April 27, 2019, 15:44:37 »
Some of the divisions have really long roots. is it ok to trim the roots or will this kill the plants?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Dividing alchemilla mollis
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 21:50:22 »
Along as there are some healthy smaller roots cut the long bits off. Put those bits in pots for the chance of some extra plants.  Lady's Mantle makes a great front of border plant and lovely to see after a rain when the leaves are full of jewels.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 10:51:38 »
Yes, I love it and am trying to get enough to go along a border edge! Thanks for the advice.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:24:50 »
I don't think you CAN kill Alchemilla! I trim back trailing roots of any perennials I move or divide, and these are such forgiving, tough plants in my experience. And yes, they are gorgeous after rain, like lupins and nasturtiums.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 17:58:35 »
Dreadful things... as Small says indestructible and self set everywhere here. They do look good until they start smothering everything, then I take the shears to them and give their neighbours a month to get "above" the blanket.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 07:56:44 »
Dreadful things... as Small says indestructible and self set everywhere here. They do look good until they start smothering everything, then I take the shears to them and give their neighbours a month to get "above" the blanket.

Exactly , just make sure it doesn't go to seed!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:15:19 »
I love it, but it always seems to want to grow where I don’t want it to, and takes  ages to get going in places I try and transplant it to! 🙄
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 12:06:26 »
Not a great photo, but this is how Alnwick garden have used it, massed with catmint.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal