Author Topic: A new type of composting?  (Read 6956 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: A new type of composting?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 18:54:13 »
I'd like one as well as it's good to recylce stuff.  I'm quite an addict now.  Sad innit  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 18:00:54 »
I thought cooked food , meat etc, attracted rats and mice? they 'd be able to smell it surely and tunnel in, especially if its dug into the ground?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 20:21:39 »
They thought of that when they designed these gizmos. They are specially designed for bones and stuff and are not penetrable (is that right, sounds funny) so not rat probs  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2005, 09:24:34 »
Go for it Georgie !! Can you use these things for pet poo ? That's something we have an endless supply of and I've often thought it'd be good to have a better way of disposing of it all. Let us know how you get on.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2005, 12:05:24 »
Any detail on time to decompose different things?

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2005, 12:17:07 »
It says pet poo is OK but in small quantities. Depends on size of pet maybe??? ::)

Don't know how long it takes but certainly something is happening to ours - you get some bacterial accelerant with it - and every now and then it gets a dusting of that which seems to spur on the rotting process.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2005, 16:03:38 »
Oh right, well if its rodent proof then it sounds like a good idea. It must save on ground fill sites.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 08:38:09 »
It is rodent proof - but says that you must not put it in  "a rat run" - if so - you have to protect the net basket with chicken wire. I think the website explains it all quite well.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2005, 08:12:26 »
So that's what the fuss was about! I have a compost bin which looks superficially similar, though it is just an ordinary bin of no particular value, and with no special innards. It was given to me by a plotholder who was leaving the site some years ago. The thief subsequently claimed that it was 'hers', it was special and valuable, you couldn't buy it, etc., etc. I never saw what she was going on about but she must have heard something about these things. She never got any of my bins, fortunately, since I fill them up the moment I've emptied them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal