Author Topic: Frosted hydrangeas  (Read 1892 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Frosted hydrangeas
« on: April 24, 2019, 14:02:28 »
My wife's pride and joy hydrangeas have been caught by frost. She is wondering wether to cut them right back. Any experts out there?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Frosted hydrangeas
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 16:53:55 »
My wife's pride and joy hydrangeas have been caught by frost. She is wondering wether to cut them right back. Any experts out there?

Are you sure it was frost?

My plants are the same as are the plants of two friends of mine!

We are putting the frizzled leaves down to too much sun, and lack of moisture at the roots caused by the dry/sunny spell we have had for the past month or more!

Check the plants at ground level and they will probably be a lush green colour!

Another one down to "Climate Change" in my opinion.

On a similar theme but this time regarding the poor flowering of Daffodils this year.

I put this down to last years spring weather pattern!  We had the"Beast from the East" followed by record high temperatures!

Last year the Daffodils flowered long and late due to the cool spell but did not get the four or five weeks to die back naturally and prepare the bulbs (flower buds). I think my Daffodil tops got only about three weeks at best to charge up the bulbs and die back before they frizzled away! 

Result!.... only a few flowers this year!

So that is two years on the trot we have had a warm April followed by a cold May ( as the weather people are predicting!)

If this is to be the "norm" (and who knows if it is?) I think it is back to looking at my diaries of the past 40 years and making adjustments to suit this trend!

But then again at my age, I why should I bother? I'm too old to be changing the habits of a lifetime now!

ps Hooray the rain is bouncing off the roof above me as I type this post!

Typical! Was going to go to Harrogate Spring Show tomorrow. Will check in the morning and if needs be I will change my day to Friday!

Bl**dy British Weather!!!!  :BangHead: :glasses9: :wave: :coffee2:

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 19:06:07 »
Thanks TeeGee.
"Are you sure it was frost?" Yes it occurred overnight when we had frost but it could be the strong sunshine on the frost. I spoke to a gardener in Scotland last year who got up at dawn to wash the frost off. Better him than me.
I definitely think we need to rethink our approach in the North with this strange weather plant. So I am sowing and planting with the weather and then giving protection in the cold spells. Planted runner beans and sunflowers today under cloches.

No rain here yet. Just lovely sunshine. Phooooow!!!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 20:47:55 »
Leave them for now, cut back to the new growth when it appears. They are susceptible to frost damage; some advise to leave the flower heads on over winter to provide a barrier against it.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 18:20:40 »
Thanks Paul. My wife was thinking along those lines.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal