Author Topic: planting distances for sweetcorn  (Read 2762 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
planting distances for sweetcorn
« on: April 19, 2019, 16:56:47 »
I always start sweetcorn in pots, planting out approx a foot between plants, and earthing up as they grow.  Round where we live (SW France), the main crop is maize.  I see the plants growing only a few inches apart, and they produce good sized cobs of maize (admittedly not a sweet variety).
This year I want to sow direct in the ground.  I'm wondering why I shouldn't try sowing much closer.  Has anyone any experience  of this, or helpful comments? 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: planting distances for sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 18:23:34 »
My experience of commercial maize production is rows 80cm apart, seeds at approx 20cm. There is a wider row approx every 9 rows, where the machine passes. Seeding is a a rate of around 25kg/hectare, or 75000 plants. This is capable of producing 40 tonnes of wholecrop silage/hectare. Crops often exceed 3metres in height, a veritable maze of maize!
 For domestic production, without the 'dynamite' effect of 34% N, I would normally plant to a 45cm grid, creating a square or rectangular block. The crop needs feeding to the maximum. Roots could go down 1.8metres, so extra water should not be needed.There has been discussion elsewhere regarding undersowing and' 3 sister ' planting.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 22:06:58 »
I sow in rootrainers three weeks before planting out first week of June in Derbyshire. I plant 30 plants in a 8’x4’ rectangular raised bed with protection from a 2’ high protection wall from recycled double walled carport plastic roofing. I’ve been using the same frames for over 10 years now, plant 5 rows of 8 plants.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 17:08:47 »
Thank you for the replies.  I expect I'll do my usual spacing. i'd just wondered if anyone had tried much closer.  But it's probably not sensible!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 10:23:34 »
Well i've sown two packetsful in the open ground this morning, an Easter sowing.  A trifle early, but they should be OK here.  Much easier I have to say than rootrainers, keeping them properly watered, and then planting out.
I did two different varieties, had two rows in the block of one of each variety in each hole, then two rows of each of one sort only, two seeds in each hole, if you can imagine that.  All about 30 cos apart, mu normal spacing which always gives me beautiful cobs.
Carefully noted down exactly what I did.  Only then noticed that each packet says don't grow near other corns - aargh!!!  They are both F1 varieties, Incredible, and Swift.  Oh well, it's done now.  Time will tell, or perhaps it won't!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 10:41:04 »
Only then noticed that each packet says don't grow near other corns - aargh!!!

I think applies more to the types rather than variety e.g sweetened  to unsweetened ( maize)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 13:41:02 »
Slightly off -topic ,but does anyone have experience of Mini Pop sweet corn (Unwins). Is it worth trying?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 21:26:35 »
Grew it once years ago, the plants are normal sized, the cobs  are smaller than normal, and not more than two per plant so I’ve never bothered again!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 23:28:41 »
Slightly off -topic ,but does anyone have experience of Mini Pop sweet corn (Unwins). Is it worth trying?

Even more off topic ... I've been growing the Swiss Special Sweetcorn from Real Seeds for the past few years after ages of failures with sweetcorn.  It's brilliant, it comes very early, it's a supersweet, you can keep your own seeds by drying a cob because it's not F1, the cobs aren't the biggest, but I have consistently got more than two (and up to 5) cobs per plant.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 18:30:14 »
Continuing slightly the slightly off-topic postings re sweetcorn - we've eaten a couple this evening out of the freezer from last summer's produce.  I think, but can't be sure, that I'd bought seed as usual from Wilko's.  Certainly an F1  sweet variety.  And they simply weren't sweet, at all!  Has anyone else experienced this? In every other way, they were perfect, juicy  pale yellow, and normal.  Weird. And a disappointment. I'm fairly sure they are the first I've tasted from last year, as before that we've been using up previous year's produce.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 18:49:25 »

Even more off topic ... I've been growing the Swiss Special Sweetcorn from Real Seeds for the past few years after ages of failures with sweetcorn.  It's brilliant, it comes very early, it's a supersweet, you can keep your own seeds by drying a cob because it's not F1, the cobs aren't the biggest, but I have consistently got more than two (and up to 5) cobs per plant.
Thats wonderful to hear. Put mine in on Sunday, expect them to be up tomorrow (in the germinator!)

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 19:44:56 »
I think you make a vg point. I have very limited experience or success so wouldn't try to advise but it seems logical that yields may be less and greater watering and feeding would be necessary. I still rely on the Dr Hessayon books but much has changed since they were written esp new Hybrids. Also I think he was in the USA. This forum is the best place to get knowledge from people who have actually tried things.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 14:28:55 »
managed to plant my sweetcorn today 14" all around one bed full around 150 plants need 4 more plants to finish the bed forgot to take a photo today and its rain tomorrow so will  l have to post one thursday i grow incedible from wilco every year  tall 6'-7'  tall  2 big full cobs to me its just well incredible
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 21:08:55 »
Continuing slightly the slightly off-topic postings re sweetcorn - we've eaten a couple this evening out of the freezer from last summer's produce.  I think, but can't be sure, that I'd bought seed as usual from Wilko's.  Certainly an F1  sweet variety.  And they simply weren't sweet, at all!  Has anyone else experienced this? In every other way, they were perfect, juicy  pale yellow, and normal.  Weird. And a disappointment. I'm fairly sure they are the first I've tasted from last year, as before that we've been using up previous year's produce.

The longer they're left before cooking/eating the more the natural sugars turn to starch. Were they frozen quickly after harvest or left 'til you 'got round to it' ? - it would have made a difference...

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 06:02:05 »
Only then noticed that each packet says don't grow near other corns - aargh!!!

For domestic production, without the 'dynamite' effect of 34% N"

I think applies more to the types rather than variety e.g sweetened  to unsweetened ( maize)

Yes this is correct, but corn is wind pollinated, so you get some pollination from not sugary maize whatever you do.  On a cob of sweetcorn a few non sweet kernels are not really noticeable, so I would not worry.  What you can do when the tassels are producing pollen is to run your hands over them and spread the pollen over your plants.  With regard to mixing, I think Swift may be an earlier variety anyway so makes tassels earlier and you can help spread the pollen over your Swift plants.

Some pollen will invariably go astray but it should not matter for eating quality.  Yes I have often wondered about commercial spacing which seems to be far denser than domestic.  Now we know, t is managed by a high nitrogen regime.  :wave:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 09:42:22 »
Grew it once years ago, the plants are normal sized, the cobs  are smaller than normal, and not more than two per plant so I’ve never bothered again!!

I usually get 4 or 5 off my Mini Pop's - must remember to sow mine soon!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal