Author Topic: Anyone had an itchy rash from touching tomato leaves?  (Read 1999 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Anyone had an itchy rash from touching tomato leaves?
« on: April 15, 2019, 21:02:14 »
I have just potted up some tomato seedlings and I must have rubbed my eyelids and now they are very itchy. I think the same thing happened once last year. I never was allergic to things but as I get older I find I get more and more allergic type problems with my skin. My eyelids seem to be the most sensitive and get itchy from lots of things.
Anyone had this happen with tomato plants? I suspect its the leaves.

pumkinlover

Re: Anyone had an itchy rash from touching tomato leaves?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 07:09:15 »
I get a reaction to a lot of plant leaves.
I always where gardening gloves but still get reactions on my arms.

https://www.jasonnaturalcare.co.uk/aloe-vera-gel 

I use this all the time when gardening season otherwise my arms and legs are a mess.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 07:26:22 »
When I was a nipper, weekends and summer holiday were taken up tomato picking in big green houses. The nurseryman would not let us pick with bare arms. If he was not about we rolled our sleeves up as it was quite hot in there. Instant rash,  treated with calamine when we got home and long sleeves again for a couple of days. We never learned. As the summer rolled on and we got tanned it was not so bad.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 18:13:38 »
Tes, I get a bit of a rash from tomato leaves. I find that putting sun cream or even vaseline helps to form a barrier on my face.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:27:03 »
A lot of plant sap allergens are made many, many times worse by exposure to sunlight. Wearing a hat can protect your eyelids - I wonder if George the Pigman wasn't?

Globe artichokes and cardoons are notorious - their sap can trigger terrible rashes in sunshine even if you aren't allergic to anything at all. I've never had trouble with dandelion latex but fig latex is definitely dodgy.

So if you get a reaction off anything put on dark or opaque covering ASAP. If you know you are going to work with nasty saps then before you do, cover up or at least use barrier creams to reduce the effects.

For pruning bamboo I wear gauntlets that go to my elbows...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 11:12:38 »
A lot of plant sap allergens are made many, many times worse by exposure to sunlight. Wearing a hat can protect your eyelids - I wonder if George the Pigman wasn't?

Globe artichokes and cardoons are notorious - their sap can trigger terrible rashes in sunshine even if you aren't allergic to anything at all. I've never had trouble with dandelion latex but fig latex is definitely dodgy.

I would like to add Euphorbia and parsnip.  If I remove parsnips this time of year with the sunshine I will get awful blisters from the sap, unless gloved up.  Hops is another one.  Just brushing against a plant gives OH red wealds that swell, make blisters which burst and leave scars.  I do not react to hops.  There is a lot of sap allergy about.   :wave:   

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 13:39:33 »
I can cope with hops on their own, but if it gets anywhere near barley it makes me fall over.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 21:43:13 »
yes i picked up a box of latex gloves and use these for gardening jobs like this and long sleeves

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal