Author Topic: Online plant retailers  (Read 2489 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Online plant retailers
« on: April 14, 2019, 13:19:49 »
There seems to be a lack of plant nurseries in my new locality (North Northumberland) so I'm looking at buying plants for my new garden online. Which sellers would you recommend, for decent sized plants (9cm plus) rather than seeds and plugs?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Online plant retailers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 20:54:47 »
Have a look at the RHS plant finder facility which lets you enter a plant and then comes up with nurseries that can supply them either in person or by mail order.  That way, you will find addresses for nurseries in your area that you can visit or else a source of mail order plants.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/horticulturaldatabase/
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 22:41:17 »
One of the cheapest and I think best ways of acquiring some nice plants are local village spring shows and fairs. Also worth finding your local horticultural societies and clubs events. That way you get to know what grows well in your area.  Also those lovely people who put plants for sale outside of their gates, I've picked up some good specimens over the years from a box of odd plants for sale.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 21:16:54 »
Depends on what you are looking for, tried a Google for you,"plant growers in Northumberland" and was surprised at the selection.Looks to be long weekend ahead.....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 19:31:48 »
I found Parker’s trade catalogue was excellent value for bulbs and plants, as long as you spend more than £50 they are happy to give  you trade prices. I found their ferns particularly good, I often found what I liked in Sarah Raven catalogues then bought from Parker’s!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 23:09:14 »
Thanks, af, I hadn't used that wording on google. Still none within less than an hour's drive of us but will definitely try Bide-a-wee once it opens this weekend, as it's an RHS partner garden, and I visited Longframlington a couple of weeks ago before they had much stock in. Much as I love living in Berwick-upon-Tweed, I've discovered that most things are at least an hour's drive away!(except the beautiful coast and the silvery Tweed!)

Deb, I'll have a look at Parker's- thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal