Author Topic: Brussel Sprouts  (Read 1143 times)

pamie

Brussel Sprouts
« on: April 12, 2019, 11:12:15 »
Help needed!!

So I tried to grow brussel sprouts for the first time last year (the seeds came in a seed set I got for Christmas). It was a disaster!!! They grew about 5 inches high with a handful of leaves - no sprouts at all :(

However, I've just gone to dig up my little veg patch, ready for this years planting, and my brussel sprouts all of a sudden look like they should have done last summer.

Is there a chance they will continue to grow and actually produce some sprouts? (i.e do I leave them in?)

Or is this just what happens and do I need to dig them out?

Sorry, never grown them before so not sure what's going on (I expected them to be dead!)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Brussel Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 11:46:25 »
Whatever happens you can eat the tops for a very tasty cabbage type vegetable.  I would do this before they look like they might be flowering.  Flowering is usually what happens after they have gone through a winter and what I expect to happen to your plants. I would dig them up and eat the tops.  And start again.  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 12:26:25 »
Hi Pamie

Welcome to A4A

Can't tell where you went wrong as you have given so little information on what you did!

Last year was dreadful for Sprouts the weather was a bit too warm for them and water was in short supply, so not really your fault!
(I never water outdoor plants after planting, I leave that to mother nature, but that's not to say you can't /shouldn't)

No matter there is always this year hopefully the weather will be more normal.

Here is some info on how I grow my plants.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/B/Brussels%20Sprouts/Brussels%20Sprouts.htm
(click on pics to enlarge)

BTW do not plant them in deep shade, sprouts do better in sunlight as I found out the hard way!

Best of luck for this year!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 13:58:59 »
If they don't bolt they will probably live another year.

If they do bolt the broccoli they produce is well worth waiting for and eating as long as it hasn't got to the yellow stage.

You might be able to force some plants into surviving if you remove all the flowers very early (and still eat it) and keep removing it even when there's too little to be worth eating.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal