Author Topic: Dead fruit bushes  (Read 1489 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Dead fruit bushes
« on: April 23, 2019, 17:16:47 »
Has anyone else had some which came up dead?  I transplanted some gooseberries to the allotment, a tayberry and also bought another tayberry and some raspberries.  Half of the gooseberries, all the tayberries and most of the raspberries are dead.  I did look after them, they have really need watering until now with rain etc. 
The other gooseberries, a pink currant bush and apples are doing fine and no sawfly yet.
It is a bit disappointing to be  honest.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Dead fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 18:07:45 »
Apart from the ones you purchased, how old were the bushes?  Older bushes with bigger root systems don't seem to do well initially, but usually make a full recovery given time.

Did they get moved in winter when fully dormant? This helps a lot. I would not attempt to move them at other times of the year.

Frankly, this is a bit inexplicable given that some are doing well, but most failed to survive the move. 
Not mad, just out to mulch!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 18:48:08 »
Apart from the ones you purchased, how old were the bushes?  Older bushes with bigger root systems don't seem to do well initially, but usually make a full recovery given time.

Did they get moved in winter when fully dormant? This helps a lot. I would not attempt to move them at other times of the year.

Frankly, this is a bit inexplicable given that some are doing well, but most failed to survive the move. 

They were moved during dormancy, apart from one which was moved in September and is doing fine!!!!
It is about half that died (I can't believe that they will give leaves now considering the others are flowering by now).
It is also annoying that raspberries did not grow - nor the tayberry - oh well I will happy if I can get 3 gooseberry bushes do well and give me fruit in quantity - plus my white currant bushes in the fruit garden.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 19:02:32 »
Were they dug-up and replanted same day, or left waiting for a while, bare rooted and open to frost? I have moved gooseberries and currants, between plots, overwintered in bucket sized pots and not lost any. Perhaps you may find a neighbour with established plants, possibly benefitting from a sensible pruning....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 19:21:13 »
Were they dug-up and replanted same day, or left waiting for a while, bare rooted and open to frost? I have moved gooseberries and currants, between plots, overwintered in bucket sized pots and not lost any. Perhaps you may find a neighbour with established plants, possibly benefitting from a sensible pruning....
I dug them up and replanted them the same day.   They were moved one by one (i.e not all the same day) I think the later ones might have been the ones that died.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 16:59:57 »
It has been very, very dry and newly transplanted bushes need a lot of water to get settled in.  The earlier ones might have had more rain to help perhaps.

Ask for prunings and make a clean cut at a node, remove leaves at the bottom of the cutting, stick them in the ground, most should take if it is not too dry.  Should take two years, three at most, from cutting to first fruit.  :wave:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 17:01:34 by galina »

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 18:28:28 »
It has been very, very dry and newly transplanted bushes need a lot of water to get settled in.  The earlier ones might have had more rain to help perhaps.

Ask for prunings and make a clean cut at a node, remove leaves at the bottom of the cutting, stick them in the ground, most should take if it is not too dry.  Should take two years, three at most, from cutting to first fruit.  :wave:
  True maybe I should have given them more water in January/February I did water them after planting them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal