Author Topic: Bother..  (Read 3001 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Bother..
« on: April 10, 2019, 22:58:53 »
Bother indeed...
Came off my bike today and have broken my collarbone so out of action for up to 6 weeks. Just at the busiest time of year with everything ready to plant out - my favourite time of the year too My long suffering OH and under gardener is ready wit fork in hand but will have to put up with my grumpiness too!
I sent her home from the hospital to get all the tender plants in as it looks like a cold night tonight..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Bother..
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 06:55:57 »
Oh no!  Really sorry. It will pass, and you will look back with perhaps wry amusement.  But for now it is all frustration, and "If only I hadn't done that". Treasure and encourage your OH !!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 07:27:21 »
Any damage to the bike?   :toothy10:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 08:28:41 »
Shame, wrong time of year for anything which stops the gardening. Take care and hopefully a full recovery.
Gardening is the great leveller.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 08:39:36 »
Oh no Nick, that's so frustrating for you.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 10:07:36 »
Any damage to the bike?   :toothy10:

This of course is the correct question!!  Looks ok but OH gives me stern looks if I go near it..

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:02:18 »
Hi Ya, I know exactly how your feeling with your injury. I underwent a major op last October and I am still suffering due to complications. I can't walk for or drive. I have been weeding on the plot but have to stop and allow the blood to catch up before starting again. Being laid low really is frustrating and annoying though my OH has helped and chastised me when I do to much. It is taking me some time to get going as the motive seems to have deserted me and it takes me a while to get going. Head up any way mate and don't try to do to much.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 12:14:36 »
Oh no! Hope it heals well- take it easy and make sure you show your gratitude to your OH regularly! :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 16:11:29 »
Ouch so sorry to read this. :BangHead:

How did it happen?  Speedy recovery Nick!    Hope the pain is ok.  Does it allow for one handed jobs?

:wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 16:33:55 »
Ouch so sorry to read this. :BangHead:

How did it happen?  Speedy recovery Nick!    Hope the pain is ok.  Does it allow for one handed jobs?

All my own work - lost concentration for a moment and hit the central reservation.  I only realised how bad it could have been when I checked my helmet today.  It was totally smashed! 

Right arm is immobile and for now I can't really move about..
But I'll get better and learn a lesson - plenty of others have it worse!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 23:03:50 »
Yes that could have been an awful lot worse.  Looking at that bike helmet, crikey!  And presumably there either were no cars or they could brake ok.  Glad you are dealing with the shock of it.  Surprised the wheel is not bent after that. 

You are a member of the landed gentry now, who just issues orders and it will all be done.  Of course there will be plenty to do on her plot later in the year for which no doubt she will ask you to pitch in. 

May you heal fast!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 16:56:44 »
How are you bearing up now Nick?  Hope a bit more mobile and able to enjoy the weather.  :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 09:36:22 »
It's not too bad to be honest - it just takes a lot effort to do anything so I have to have a nice lie down in the afternoon.   :tongue3:
Anything major will have to wait for a few weeks and I am resigned to a slow start..  So far we haven't planted anything out and we have a couple of weeks to go before the majority of stuff goes to the plot so timing isn't that bad - could have been worse.
Maincrop spuds need to go in and were destined for my clay plot - may have to get the old bulb planter out..
Cheers for asking!

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 13:49:15 »
True gardener, sent OH from bedside to rescue plants. Love it!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 15:17:52 »
Nick,  the maincrop spuds can chit away a bit longer and go in when you are feeling a bit more able.  They will catch up, in this dry spell they would not have done much anyway.

All the best :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 10:18:53 »
Yesterday was a bit of a mess!
Went to hospital to see the consultant and we agreed to leave it be but looking at the x-ray you would think I need an op!

Then off to the dentist as a molar had blown up - no sleep the night previous and I felt dreadful.  An hour in the chair having it drilled out, killed and filled - not comfortable!
Anyway - on the mend - just feels like it is taking forever..

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 12:37:01 »
How can these bones knit together if they are this displaced?  But I am no medic, just a lay person looking at what seems to be a double break.   I am sure there are list members who know their way round your X-ray and why it is ok to leave it.

And this toothache on top of it, is just too bad.  I hope it is the end of the toothache at least, although that might well take a few days to settle down too.  Must have been agony in the chair for all this time. 

Goodness you had a grim couple of days, BarriedaleNick.  It's never just straightforward and easy, is it?   :BangHead:

Wish you a fast recovery! 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 15:01:27 »
I know - it seems unlikely but the consultant says that it will heal and that if it were him or his son he wouldn't operate as their are likely complications.
Tooth will be fine - it is the result of biting into a cherry stone at a works do over a year ago.  It was slowly dying and causing me issues.  He did a cold test on it and I nearly jumped out the chair so he killed it off.  Still need two more visits to get it cut off and capped.
It does make you appreciate mobility - there are plenty of people who have to put up with permanent pain and restrictions on movement..

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 17:26:13 »
im so sorry to here your unwell  it really is the worst time hope you can get something done  get well soon
i feel your pain
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 09:42:11 »
You too mate.  We should get together then we could have three working arms and three working legs between us !  :tongue3:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal