Author Topic: Compulsory Association  (Read 5975 times)

Plot22

• Half Acre
Compulsory Association
« on: April 10, 2019, 16:37:40 »
Just paid this years rent and for the 1st year I have not paid to be a member of the Association. Primarily it was because the Chairman was bullying allotment holders by saying it was compulsory to join the Association but also I believe that at £5.50 it was not value for money as the 3rd party insurance was not worth the paper it was written on and the Hut to buy fertiliser etc was hardly ever open. I now go to an alternative Association and pay £1 each year when I know that they will be open Sat & Sun 10.00 till 12.00. The chairman tells me that the Council will make it compulsory to be a member 2020 which will mean a  12% increase in rents but I believe that he is bluffing. I have contacted my local Councillor for advice. Any thoughts on this? I hasten to add that £5.50 is not the end of the world but somewhere principles kick in.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Compulsory Association
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 20:10:51 »
Association fees are compulsory at my site, but at the modest sum of 50 pence per annum no-one seems to mind. Also each year at the AGM every plot holder can see a set of audited accounts. This transparency means that every penny of income and expenditure is accounted for.

Most councils have an allotments officer and while they are usually very busy people they can be approached for information and help on council policy.  No need to rely entirely on your chairman. Find out directly. Your chairman may be spinning you a yarn.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 20:30:37 »
The national allotments society publish their fees on line.

Easy to Google. Fees for 2019 for allotments are £3 per member per year. So who is getting the other £2.50?

I think we are affiliated with the RHA. I'm not sure exactly what the benefits are but it includes  one free annual visit for up to 55 people to an RHA centre. This explains our annual day trip to Wisley.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 20:44:51 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Glencroft

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 15:14:59 »
Just paid this years rent and for the 1st year I have not paid to be a member of the Association. Primarily it was because the Chairman was bullying allotment holders by saying it was compulsory to join the Association but also I believe that at £5.50 it was not value for money as the 3rd party insurance was not worth the paper it was written on and the Hut to buy fertiliser etc was hardly ever open. I now go to an alternative Association and pay £1 each year when I know that they will be open Sat & Sun 10.00 till 12.00. The chairman tells me that the Council will make it compulsory to be a member 2020 which will mean a  12% increase in rents but I believe that he is bluffing. I have contacted my local Councillor for advice. Any thoughts on this? I hasten to add that £5.50 is not the end of the world but somewhere principles kick in.

Bullying implies a threat and that sounds like blackmail to me, blackmail is jail time. Even if there was no bullying it would still amount to Fraud under S.2 Fraud Act, plain and simple.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal