Author Topic: Growing fruit on fences  (Read 1397 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Growing fruit on fences
« on: April 07, 2019, 17:17:55 »
We are currently having our new garden landscaped and have a lot of fencing. Does anyone have experience of growing espalier fruit on fences rather than walls?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Growing fruit on fences
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 19:02:26 »
i think orentation of the fences is more important north facing fence great for morello cherries south facing here on the sunshine coast i have apricot most south facing fences will take apple plum pear no problems i grow mine on wires in fact its easier to train a peach on a fence than wall training as a lot more attension to pruning is required gooseberrys red currant white currant can all be grown on fences with great success  hopethis helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 19:07:15 »
I've got a peach tree fan-trained on a 2m tall SW-facing fence and it's warm but it's obvious there isn't as much warmth as you get from a wall - however it's OK because I have a clear cover on it until May that more than compensates - and also stops leafcurl dead in its tracks  (it's a quarter ellipse of curved perspex so it looks good but it needs replacing soon because it's crazing and cracking - perspex can't stand more than a few years of UV - solid 1-2mm polycarbonate would be a better investment*).

I've got espalier apples on a NE fence and they only produce on the branches that are above the level of the fence - but it's OK because the fence is only 1.2m so I'm not losing much.

I'd say aspect and height are more important than the fence/wall difference - but I might have a different opinion if I was in the frozen North.

If you are further north your South-ish fence would probably be OK for  Tayberries or hardy self-fertile Kiwi "Issai" (simpler to grow and tastes better than an ordinary kiwi and even more important there's no other way of getting hold of the fruit).

Cheers.

*May-November it's working as a cold frame elsewhere.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 19:18:13 »
I've got a peach tree fan-trained on a 2m tall SW-facing fence and it's warm but it's obvious there isn't as much warmth as you get from a wall - however it's OK because I have a clear cover on it until May that more than compensates - and also stops leafcurl dead in its tracks  (it's a quarter ellipse of curved perspex so it looks good but it needs replacing soon because it's crazing and cracking - perspex can't stand more than a few years of UV - solid 1-2mm polycarbonate would be a better investment*). my mates call my peach tree shelter the bus shelter they always ribe me about it  however they all want some peaches in july he who laughes last and all that

I've got espalier apples on a NE fence and they only produce on the branches that are above the level of the fence - but it's OK because the fence is only 1.2m so I'm not losing much.

I'd say aspect and height are more important than the fence/wall difference - but I might have a different opinion if I was in the frozen North.

If you are further north your South-ish fence would probably be OK for  Tayberries or hardy self-fertile Kiwi "Issai" (simpler to grow and tastes better than an ordinary kiwi and even more important there's no other way of getting hold of the fruit).

Cheers.

*May-November it's working as a cold frame elsewhere.
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 20:07:08 »
I am just south of the Scottish border (Berwick-upon-Tweed, East coast) so maybe won't go for peaches or apricots, but good to know fences are ok. Thsnks for your comments.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 20:08:52 by caroline7758 »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 20:50:11 »
I have corden apples on my east fence, planted them as whips from Deacons nursery 25 yrs ago, still going strong and pretty much self supporting now although I still have wires and canes as they get heavy with fruit!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 23:40:34 »
Espalier is just the support and pruning system ... you can espalier trees that aren't against a wall (or fence) ... I assume that a fence will provide the same wind protection as a wall would, but won't have the same heat radiating properties - so you might not get such early fruiting from a fence.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal