Author Topic: Small log pile  (Read 2385 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Small log pile
« on: March 27, 2019, 21:09:51 »
Do people think a very small log pile on the allotment for stag beetles and solitary bees would be a problem with the allotment committe?  Providing it looks tidy?

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Small log pile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 21:14:23 »
I have one near my wee pond, I dont grow slug susceptible plants near it tho as they like to use it aswell as the frogs and toads. If its not too big I cant see it being a problem but some committees are quite strict just for the sake of being so. 
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 07:14:19 »
Why not dig it in, polysheet as membrane, and turf as roof.Just leave it open on one(the 'inside') edge for creepycrawly access.It could have secondary purpose, such as a raised base for waterbutt, or be within a pallet sided compost heap Compared to many plots I have seen, it would be tidy!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 21:51:41 »
Trust your judgement. You will probably know much more about your own committee than we do. They may be very officious, or they may not give a hoot.

On my site I doubt anyone would even notice. The committee is far too busy with the tenants that let their plots become completely overgrown, and neglected. My log pile is placed in the hope it will eventually produce oyster mushrooms, but if it proves dual purpose so much the better.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal