Author Topic: broad beans  (Read 1374 times)

ACE

• Hectare
broad beans
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:02:52 »
I needn't had worried about the early flowers on the broad beans my autumn planted ones are really covered in blooms now. Looking forwards to a good crop of my favourite veg. Plenty of insects buzzing around them as well even a tortoiseshell  butterfly this morning. Every thing is warming up a treat. I also  had an adder catching some rays, I left him alone,  lets hope he repays the favour and eats plenty of slugs

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Re: broad beans
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 14:17:00 »
my overwintered beans are just about 6"  through. Thinking about another couple of riws
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 14:46:54 »
Mine took a bit of a hammering in the snow, but look fairly good now, if a bit too far advanced for my liking.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 16:19:02 »
I crowd mine in and this year put a cats cradle in to hold them up. Tipped them out just before xmas  as they were getting too tall. They have stood up well to the winds just a few outside ones falling over. Not too early down this way, should be eating them at Easter. I have another bed of them about 3 or 4 inches high.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 17:47:54 »
I needn't had worried about the early flowers on the broad beans my autumn planted ones are really covered in blooms now. Looking forwards to a good crop of my favourite veg. Plenty of insects buzzing around them as well even a tortoiseshell  butterfly this morning. Every thing is warming up a treat. I also  had an adder catching some rays, I left him alone,  lets hope he repays the favour and eats plenty of slugs
I'm really jealous of your climate, only 50 miles north, today has been warmer, 13 degC,  but no hint of sun or even brightness . Its dry, got the hoe around, but could do with some rain .Only 148mm  this year to date, about 33% less than average, with little forecast next 14 days
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal