Author Topic: last of the brassicas  (Read 2163 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
last of the brassicas
« on: March 14, 2019, 14:36:39 »
well today was last of the brassica's day  all year round cauliflowers by the barrow load last week was last of the parsnip day next week last of the leeks day its been a tad windy here on the sunshine coast however the veg keeps coming
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

small

• Hectare
Re: last of the brassicas
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 15:09:45 »
I think we will still be eating kale at midsummer if it keeps on growing the way it is! I've still got carrots to be lifted, huge crop this year, and spinach and chard are thriving. This has been a very odd winter...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 16:53:09 »
Still lifting carrots, cleared one bed and made soup, three to go. Leeks still in the ground and had the last of the parsnips, had some Filderkraut but they bolted in that hot spell the other week.. still picking off odd leaves for spring greens.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 20:28:11 »
Well one of the Brussels is now doing quite well and we are getting sprouts at last, the other has not done much.  Cauli is not yet ready, but kale is wonderful.  The Portuguese kale has all these flower sprouts, the Daubenton nice leaves.  And another brassica, a late sown turnip has actually produced some nice roots on about half the plants and a lot of greens on others.  Both are welcome in the kitchen.   

Still parsnips and leeks to come.  And stored squashes too.  Chard is putting on new leaves and we have new shoots from the fennel. 

Envious of your carrots Small and Saddad.  I really must get my act together with carrots this year.  But we still have a few celeriacs, 

Lettuce, lambs lettuce and endive as well as landcress are also doing well and lettuce seedlings are coming on for planting out soon.  :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:32:27 »
I am almost out of everything!
Carrots started getting a bit hairy so we pulled the lot but they seem to be storing ok.
All our PSB was early but got a few little bits still sprouting.
Brussels were great but most have blown now.
Parsnips - done and dusted
Celeriac and swede - Started regrowing so they are up and in store.
leeks - too few to mention!
Still got some winter lettuce and chard but the kale got mullered by the pigeons.
I'm off to see a mate in Madrid for 5 days but when I  get back it will be bye bye to the old season and full steam ahead for the new.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 17:05:18 »
OH loves sprouts.  I loathe them so always resist planting them but blow me if the last lot have survived despite my best efforts.  Meanwhile, our farmer neighbour brought him a bag of hers earlier this week.    Still cropping Savoy and red cabbage plus broccoli and cavolo nero.   Celeriac is growing now too after just sitting all autumn and winter.

Once this weekend of nasty weather is over I shall be off to look for some plugs of more brassicas.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 07:23:48 »
Try cutting into quarters , remove all the stalk and stirfry gently with garlic. Unrecognisable.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 10:52:45 »
Sprouts?  I've tried them steamed, microwaved, with bacon bits or nuts or garlic or cream or chili or nutmeg or some or all of the above.  Grated raw in salads.  Stir fried.  My nose and taste buds still think they are fit only for the compost heap.
Obxx - Vendée France

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 20:35:41 »
Sprouts?  I've tried them steamed, microwaved, with bacon bits or nuts or garlic or cream or chili or nutmeg or some or all of the above.  Grated raw in salads.  Stir fried.  My nose and taste buds still think they are fit only for the compost heap.

Some people have a tin ear, some are colour blind, some don't like durian fruit - I feel sorry for all of them, it's not their fault and they may have some compensating super-power that I wish I had - like the ability to enjoy boiled potatoes (which I don't have - unless we are talking Vitelotte Noire).

Strokes for folks... I occasionally meet people who hate garlic, raw onion, aubergines, wild mushrooms, sprouts and so many other strong flavours that I can only interpret it as a love of blandness...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 15:41:56 »
Sprouts I love but somethings leave me totally cold.
To me asparagus has no taste at all, aubergines are similar but they take on the flavours they are cooked with and artichokes taste like cardboard!
Maybe it's just veg beginning with A!  I'l eat them all but I'd rather leave them for folks that get more enjoyment out of them..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 22:07:26 »
My sprouts were almost ready last week and i think i missed the window as one warm day and they blew so there going into the bin :(

Still have parsnips, carrots, BSP, Kale, Perpetual spinach and leeks on the go.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal