Author Topic: Veggie growing with a bad back - ideas needed for working the plot  (Read 2558 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Because life’s like that, I’ve managed to do my back in (thoracic facet joint pain) just at the time when I need to be preparing the plot. I should be sowing first earlies reasonably soon but need to avoid bending.  If I stand straight, I can probably make the holes needed with a steel fencing pin; the issue is getting the seeds into the holes and the right way up.  I’m thinking of getting some rigid tubing that slide the seeds down into each hole. Other than the generosity of neighbours, are there ideas, tools or gadgets for the veggie grower with a back that’s mighty sore as I really don’t want to sit out the season.
Many thanks for all the comments.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Are you able to kneel?  If so a bulb planter may do the trick.  Hope you get better soon.  Backache is no fun at all.  :wave:

PS  If it is really only a matter of dropping the seed spuds in the right way round, I would think that this is such a short job, that it is not difficult to ask for as a favour. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 15:47:26 by galina »

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
I too have suffered with a back problem for many years and used to find one of the worst jobs was planting potatoes.   I visited Groves Nurseries at Bridport website and noticed that they sold a potato planting tool so went down to the nursery as it is not that far and bought one and have used it for many years.   I have just located the video of Charlie Groves using the tool - https://grovesnurseries.co.uk/articles/help-advice/How-to-use-our-potato-planting-tool . I hope this may help you.   I know they charge £6.99 delivery according to the website but if it makes life easier, it may well be worth it.

newspud9

• Half Acre
Many thanks for those prompt responses. The only kneeling I've been considering is to pray!!!..really is just too sore to get down.  Groves' planter tool was interesting and seems to make a good planting hole but there's still a fair bit of bending to drop the seed into the hole.  I guess I'm hoping for someone who's invented a tool out self-necessity.  Thanks again.

Metanurb

• Not So New ...
Would a 'litter picker' work to place them without bending?

ACE

• Hectare
Sometimes I have mobility problems, not all the time thankfully. A couple of years ago I planted spuds with a long handled bulb planter and a long reach  'helping hand' . Planted a treat but had trouble with the seed spuds rotting in the holes with my clay soil. The bulb planter made a nice smooth water holder when it rained. If you go this way make sure you spike the bottom of the hole to allow for drainage.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
My issue relates to Lumbar5 but one battles on. Regarding your spuds, they will grow whichever way up they land, although its nice to see the little chits facing up as you rake them over......
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

newspud9

• Half Acre
Many thanks for all the good advice.  The litter picker is a great idea and I was trying with one with two claws we have in the house but my innate inabilities defeated me.  I think one with 4 prongs (like those old-fashioned toy grabbers in a fun-fair) would work but yet to find one on-line.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
There are woodworking clamps that look like a peg with hinged jaw pads - they come in various sizes (to hold the full range of seed sizes :happy7:) and won't crush or drop them. Poundland sell them at ¼ what you would pay in a tool shop.

Tape one side to a stick and attach a string from the other side to the other end of your stick so a finger can pull the jaws apart like pulling a note on a guitar.

For sowing a row of small seeds nothing beats your idea of rolling seeds down a pipe - water pipe is most accurate (best for peas because they bounce) but it's a lot easier to sprinkle smaller seeds into a 1¼" waste pipe as you move it along.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

newspud9

• Half Acre
Thanks Vinlander - shall give it a go...once I've stopped groaning.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Re: Veggie growing with a bad back - ideas needed for working the plot
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 18:47:55 »
Many thanks for those prompt responses. The only kneeling I've been considering is to pray!!!..really is just too sore to get down.  Groves' planter tool was interesting and seems to make a good planting hole but there's still a fair bit of bending to drop the seed into the hole.  I guess I'm hoping for someone who's invented a tool out self-necessity.  Thanks again.
The potato goes in the V shaped jaws and the potato is dropped in the hole by operating the handles to open the jaws   I have used this tool for several years now and do not have to bend at all.   Once the potatoes have been sown, just cover with soil using the back of a rake.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal