Author Topic: February fool  (Read 2332 times)

nodig

• Half Acre
February fool
« on: February 28, 2019, 18:31:05 »
So we have had exceptionally warm weather and sunshine for a couple of weeks.  So in theory soil temperature should be more like the end of march than end of  february. So I have taken the plunge and started some early potatoes.  I rotovated the land, planted the potatoes on the surface of the soil and covered them in a good layer of fairly clean straw bedding.  Never tried this method before and never planted so early.  If frosts are forecast then I will cover with black plastic.  Might work?

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: February fool
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 21:02:12 »
Your risk is that the tubers get killed by a severe frost or that any growth gets frosted beyond the tuber's ability to replace it. Those "volunteer" spuds that come up have overwintered fine because they are deep enough down; the nicely burgeoning rows that get blasted by a late frost (24 hours after you took off the fleece) grow back fine. You could be increasing your risk on both scores. What I've no idea about is whether early planting outside actually gains anything over chitting the seed potatoes - I suspect not.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:10:46 »
Might work?

Yes it might.

I always think the best way to take a risk is not to bet the farm. So go for it. Just don't set a full three pole of earlies. Try just a few and if goes wrong your loss will be minimal and you will have your more conventionally times planting to fall back on.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 13:11:02 »
I'm going to sow some green-seeded broad beans ASAP - the extra flavour is more welcome the earlier you can get it - and they might just overlap with the white-seeded kinds that I planted a bit late - and eating less of the latter would mean more seeds for next year - a win-win.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 14:07:12 »
Go for it.

Planted a short row of 1st Early, Duke of York on 23rd Feb.  Already chitted, planted deep and covered with a cloche.  Opened a trench and left in the sun for the day, soil temp measured 9.5C when planting. 

Thought it was worth the risk for the price of 1/2 a pint and the hope of very early pots.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal