Author Topic: Inherited compost heap  (Read 2108 times)

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
Inherited compost heap
« on: February 26, 2019, 08:38:09 »
I have just taken on a second plot and inherited a large compost heap.  I've looked at the compost, which looks and smells fine.  However, as I have no idea what went into it, should I risk using it or should I dispose of it and start afresh?  Has anyone any experience?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Inherited compost heap
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 08:48:20 »
Sieve out the brick ends, broken bottles,bones, busted bean poles etc , any 'live' roots and unrotted remains and spread the rest.
95% chance all is good.
 If in doubt,dump it where your runners are to go.
Look on the positive side, its a 'gift horse'?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:30:15 »
I've looked at the compost, which looks and smells fine.

Over the years I've inherited several similar heaps. They were all fine, although good advice from Acellsfarmer, as they can contain some rubbish and debris. Trust your nose and spread the compost rather than dumping. 
Not mad, just out to mulch!

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 10:55:09 »
Put some potatoes and runner beans in the heap.  If they grow well then the compost is good - if they don't grow well then the compost is suspect.  I made this up but is sounds like good advice.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 15:28:59 »
I inherited 2 compost heaps. Looked lovely stuff. It may have been co-incidence, but the next year I acquired onion rot. I'd be ultra cautious and test plant a few sets just for the first year. I have desperately missed my onions and leeks, and none of the treatments were effective.

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 18:09:58 »
Thanks for all the advice.  I probed the heap today and found no rocks or stones.  I took a slice out, rather like cutting a cake and found nothing untoward.  I think I will put in a small raised bed,  transfer the compost to it after trying to sterilise it on a bonfire, then see what I can grow in it.  I had better replace the timber of the 'bin' while I am about it.  The old timber can go on the bonfire.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 18:52:38 »
transfer the compost to it after trying to sterilise it on a bonfire,
No, don't do that. The value of the compost is the countless trillions of micro-organisms that make your soil alive. The chances of eliminating those 'bad' elements, which could be present, do not justify the harm you will do to the rest.A bonfire will not hold the heap at a steady temperature for the requisite time. Composting should have done the business, if not, please just move on.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 20:47:48 »
I took a slice out, rather like cutting a cake

Reminiscent of cutting Peat which is basically composted vegetation.

The stuff I have taken out of my Daleks which is rotted down horse manure is the consistency of a 'Brownie' and slices beautifully with my spade!

So it's sounds like you have got yourself a drop of good stuff there!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 11:02:33 »
Do you know who had the plot before you? Could you ask "next door"? Maybe they could give you an update on what they thought the previous plotholder's ways on composting were. We are very careful here due to club root, and take any diseased stuff away. We also bag and remove couch grass, convolvulus etc. There are some that just dump it all in including sprayed stuff, and reckon its fine.

Ask around and then have another think.  Good luck with the new plot:blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 18:15:36 »
I probed the heap today and found no rocks or stones.  I took a slice out, rather like cutting a cake and found nothing untoward.

Well there you have good evidence that the tenant that built the heap was a careful and sensible gardener. It was never used just for rubbish, and it was never used as dump for troublesome perennial weeds like couch grass and convolvulus or the roots would still be present.

It remains a gamble of course but I'd hazard the plot holder never used it as a dump for diseased plants either.  Also if your current plot and the site generally doesn't suffer from club root or onion white rot it is difficult to see how it could be absent from plots generally but somehow become present in this compost heap.

But safety first. Why not hold off for one year? Use some as a test as nodig suggested, but also try growing a few brassicas and onions, as well as beans to ensure it is disease free. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 11:52:10 »
I see one person has inherited onion rot from a compost heap. I took over my plot about 7 years ago and could not any onions , I now look forward getting a good crop each year. I have even wo the onion cup a couple of times. This has been due to using garlic powder to  clear it ,the main thing is to use it as soon as you  lift the crop so as to make the spores. that you normally leave behind, to germinate thinking there is an onion crop there. Please be carful about spreading any spores by walking on contaminated soil.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 11:25:04 »
Use it for pumpkins or squash this time, and grow a few leeks in it as well... you'll get a good crop of squash and any rot should turn up on the leeks as they root deeply and are in for a long time.. make sure you surround the leeks with a mesh to keep out the fly and stop the squash smothering them while they are small.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal