Author Topic: Pink Currants  (Read 1608 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Pink Currants
« on: February 18, 2019, 15:31:15 »
Has anyone tried these?  A good idea or not?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Pink Currants
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 21:09:51 »
Yes, I have one bush. Variety "Gloire de Sablon". It produces sweet fragrant berries that can be eaten straight from the bush, but they also cook well and make great jam and jelly. Is it worth growing? Definitely yes.  The flavour is closer to a white currant than a red currant, but growing habit is identical to red and white currants. So they are pruned like a gooseberry and you can grow them as cordons if you wish (the pruning method is simple and easy to learn). They take about three seasons before they really start to produce heavy crops. They are easy to grow.

I can think of only one reason not to have one. If you were very short of space - because of the similarities - you might want to get either a white or a pink but not both. If you have enough room no reason not to get one.

Mine are in a fruit cage with my red currant and white currant bushes. You might need to net them at times to protect from birds.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 21:49:04 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 12:29:14 »
Thank you very much.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 11:24:12 »
Thank you very much.

You are welcome.

They don't require much time either.  One bush would only need half an hour winter pruning, half an hour summer pruning, Mulch around the base of the bush in winter, scatter a bit of manure or fertiliser in spring, and an occasional bit of weeding, and that is it apart from picking the berries.  A few minutes now and then to check for pests and diseases is wise but my experience is that they are pretty robust and not often hit by pests.

Wishing you success.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal