Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Stick or twist

(1/3) > >>

nodig:
Well I guess many of us have already invested in buying new seeds, but have you gone for the ones you know best or something different.  I suppose it's a bit like gambling - do you place your money on a plant with reliable past form or do you take a long shot and back one with little form but will outperform the rest of the field according to a tip off.  Bit obscure really, but who's the gambler and who is the one who plays safe on this forum?

galina:
I play safe and prefer home saved seeds and seeds that were saved from known sources, like our seed circle.  I also trust seed companies like Real Seeds and Beans and Herbs.  Never had a problem with Nicky's seeds, Simpsons or Thomas Etty either.   

There is no reason to assume that the same variety from the same seed company comes from the same source the following year.  They might be the same and they might not.  And in most cases seeds are not grown in the UK with the big seed houses. 

Often there is no choice if I want a certain variety that only one source stocks - but soon enough I will try to make my own seeds from that variety.

:wave:

BarriedaleNick:
I stick and twist! 
Every year I carry through a few favourites that I grow most years but I always add something new into the mix.
Last year I discovered orange\yellow beetroot after years of growing Alto.  This year I have quite a few things to try from Real seeds.  Part of the excitement, for me at least, is to try new things but I also like to make sure I have a few standards that I know will do well.

squeezyjohn:
I always go for broke ... it's not really like gambling because if it doesn't work out then that's some more knowledge learnt ... but if you always stick to the same varieties you'll never know if it could be better.  When I find someting rare that I like I always try to save my own seeds because you never know if you will always be able to buy them.  If I had stuck - I never would have discovered pipiche (mexican herb). taunton deane cottagers kale, gigant kohl rhabi or Amish paste tomatoes which are now my favourites.

This year - some interesting ones - skirret, Turkish rocket (perennial), mashua and probably more that I've forgotten!

Beersmith:
Our association gets a 40% discount on seeds from King's, and I have to admit that does rather influence my selections.  It is a hefty saving.

I'm still taking the odd punt, but as the years go by I have tended to develop favourites. Usually the reasons are flavour and reliability but not always. 

Much as I love the flavour of something like Galeux D'eysines squash, they are absolutely huge. One is a glut in itself.  So, not without a degree of reluctance, I grow smaller varieties now.

Not planning any novelties this season, but we are all human, and wandering around the garden centres I may find myself tempted by some new wonder vegetables and make an impulse purchase. Spring is not here yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version