Produce > Edible Plants

Beans

(1/3) > >>

ACE:
Don't worry they are still in their packets. But I am thinking of having a dedicated area just for beans. I have some long lengths of rebar and the idea is to build a structure that I can tie the canes to each year and grow the beans up. Then after the harvest and the canes are stacked for the winter I will dig  big trench and fill it with all the rubbish and compost ready to use again next year.  What are your thoughts.

Pescador:
Sounds quite sensible. Have you thought of doing a Munty frame to make picking easier?

ACE:
No munty frame for me, they look like they take up too much room. Crossed poles and a top runner will do me. Sometimes a teepee frame if I have room and some different beans to try.

Obelixx:
Sounds like a good plan Ace.  Rebar is such useful stuff.

I rather fancied a Munty frame for my own beans but started quietly last year in our new veggie plot with a couple of obelisks with beans sown at each post.  Nothing germinated.

Heat?  Drought?  Mice?  Might try sowing in pots in a more controlled environment and then plant out later.

NightWish:
A plotholder next to me did this for many years.  His frame was made up of old scaffolding pipes.  He always had an excellent crop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version