Author Topic: Time for the wooly longjohns  (Read 4273 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Time for the wooly longjohns
« on: January 31, 2019, 07:26:48 »
Minus 7 degrees. Kinell! it must be a record here. I dread to think what it is like up in the frozen wastelands of the north. No white stuff, yet, and fingers crossed we'll miss it. Where is global warming when you need it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Time for the wooly longjohns
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:29 »
"Only" -6.2C here.  Pretty cold and we have an inch of the white stuff too.  But sunny later guess it will melt.  Surprised that IOW is colder than here on the "spine" of the country.  Or do I need to rethink the position of my min/max thermometer?  It is inside the pergola stuffed right inside the vine.  I have often wondered whether it is warmer right next to plants.  :wave:   

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:20:38 »
-2 here in Berwick-upon-Tweed. Hard frost but no snow yet. Can't seethe Cheviots today so guess it's foggy over there.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:12:50 »
Here it is officially 2C but actually feels 5 degrees colder cos someone has opened the door up north and Arctic blasts are getting in every nook and cranny.   They reckon tomorrow the wind chill factor will be 7 degrees of cold.   Brrrr!
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 18:03:02 »
Ladies and gentlemen, please let us not get carried away.

It was only a few days back I was wondering if my apples were going to get the necessary 800 chill hours this winter. A few cold days and a couple of sharp frosts (very sharp in some places) is hardly unusual for late January.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 18:10:11 »
Started to snow here just north of Cardiff about 16.30, now at 18.00 it's starting to settle on quiet roads and pavements.
Nothing exceptional yet. As Beersmith says, it is winter!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 20:43:56 »

Nothing exceptional yet. As Beersmith says, it is winter!
I t might be normal for you, normally it is only two weeks to the start of spring down here. February is still called Mud Month though.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 07:31:11 »
It snowed last night, all gone this morning.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 07:01:54 »
Four inches on Thursday night here and a top up Friday.  Road outside still white, bet its slippery. 

I must really get out and check the nets on my brassicas.  The deer will be out for a nibble.

Sun out now so it looks lovely. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 09:47:04 »
We must have been right on the edge, just a light dusting,  I expect it blew straight up the solent. The middle of the island had a few problems but nothing to write home about. The early morning temps are another thing though, very cold. Went out to clear the windscreen and it was clear at 6.00 but frosted up half an hour later.  At least the ground will be sterilised for a while. Bright sunshine this morning.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 19:35:29 »
Nothing for me just rain today

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 11:20:11 »
A tad windy out there today, not so bad as yesterday over 80mph recorded about 15 miles from me. The poly was still standing this morning a few others not so lucky and will be hunting daleks for a few hours, but nothing serious.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 11:55:09 »
What a difference in a fortnight, 15 degrees of sunshine so hot I had to take the sweater off, birds all giving it some of that getting ready for tomorrow when folklore says they pair up. Primroses and daffs out in flower. A big feed of broad bean tops for dinner. Ain't life grand.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 23:21:02 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal