Author Topic: Celeriac - again  (Read 3776 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Celeriac - again
« on: February 10, 2019, 14:30:13 »
Grew Celeriac this year for the first time. Thanks to help from here, it was a fantastic success. Grew variety "Monarch". Want to try a different variety this seaso. Any suggestion for different variety would be most welcome. Thanks.  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Celeriac - again
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 17:28:06 »
I grew Asterix successfully last year (still have a few plants in the ground). It was my first attempt for several years so was very pleased. I pricked out 36 tiny seedlings yesterday and am hoping for an equally good crop this year.

Tricia :wave:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 23:42:29 »
Asterisk gets my vote too.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 11:21:16 »
Oooh! You've reminded me to get a shift on and sow mine :)

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 13:35:38 »
Asterisk gets my vote too.

Asterix, that is. Curse that automatic spell checker.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 14:26:52 »
Thanks for that, I must get a move on  xx.  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 20:31:15 »
Thanks for that, I must get a move on  xx.  :blob7:
No panic- its Week 9 in my schedule.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 16:41:03 »
Thanx Everbody. Got planted in propagator, and it looks like germination starting. All good to go.
Thanx again. Hope its a good year. xxx.  :blob7:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 22:35:11 »
Mine have just started germinating, as well :)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 14:56:59 »
Isn't it great to see the tiny seeds start up. I need to get the tray out of the warm box now and carry on by themselves. Tomatoes next. I used to start early feb, but they always got too leggy before it was warm enough to put them out. Starting later this year  :wave:

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
  • Portsmouth, the sunny south coast
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 17:42:32 »

Oooh, thanks for this suggestion, I might give these a go!

Has a 5 rod plot in Portsmouth.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 21:23:47 »
I used to start early feb, but they always got too leggy before it was warm enough to put them out.

I fully agree. If they are subjected to too much cold weather early in the spring they are pretty much guaranteed to run to seed in summer.  For many years I was unaware of this and thought running to seed was just a hot dry weather issue.   Mine are just showing now. Ample time for a good crop if well looked after.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 14:14:29 »
We are going to be quite a bit behind this season. Its our 50th wedding anniversary, and a short holiday has been booked for us - but it covers potato planting start week and pricking out other stuff.  :blob7:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 16:29:59 »
We are going to be quite a bit behind this season.

Don't worry! Plants have a way of catching up.

Who knows with the vagueries of the British Weather we might get a blast from the East again this year! Add to that; this last couple of years we have had quite a warm April and a relatively cold May so that sort of thing affects us all choose whether we get our seedlings pricked out at their usual time or not!

Potatoes shouldn't be too troubled with a couple of weeks delay and I guess a potential problem will be more about keeping your seedlings moist (watered)while you are away, rather than about pricking them out!

Have your holiday and enjoy it!

BTW Congratulations on your 50th! :clock:

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 18:17:22 »
How does everyone sow their celeriac. I have grown before but cannot remember what I did. This year struggling to get them growing. Tried just on surface of seed compost in heated propagator, difficulty keeping top of compost moist, they started germinating but when sprayed lightly to keep compost moist they are so tiny this affected them and they did not survive.
Trying now covered with small amount  of compost and in propagator during day if temp reasonable and putting in propagator over night at about 24oC

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 21:40:49 »
How does everyone sow their celeriac. I have grown before but cannot remember what I did. This year struggling to get them growing. Tried just on surface of seed compost in heated propagator, difficulty keeping top of compost moist, they started germinating but when sprayed lightly to keep compost moist they are so tiny this affected them and they did not survive.
Trying now covered with small amount  of compost and in propagator during day if temp reasonable and putting in propagator over night at about 24oC

Getting them to germinate seems to be pretty much the hardest part. I'll readily admit to complete failure several times. My current method seems pretty reliable. I use a half seed tray and fill about three quarters depth with good compost. Over this I put a thin layer of vermiculite. I sow the seeds very thinly onto the top of this.  I don't cover the seeds.  I keep it all quite warm and damp and in the light. The seeds are so tiny they seem to naturally fall into the tiny surface indentations and it seems to work well.

I've never had any damping off problems with celeriac. Celeriac is a moisture loving plant and I have found keeping the seedlings fairly damp does no harm. Prick out once a couple of true leaves have formed.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 08:18:34 »
I use coir and I sow them thinly and dont cover the seed - I brush the surface of the coir with my fingers a little to settle them in and I keep them warm.  As soon as they show I take them off the heat but keep them in the light.  Seem to do ok - I need to prick all mine out today!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal