Author Topic: Sweetcorn  (Read 2803 times)

herring8

• Not So New ...
Sweetcorn
« on: March 29, 2019, 10:29:22 »
Hi - Ive read its a bad idea to grow two different varieties nearby as they will cross pollinate.

I read they can carry 500 yards, in that case I could be getting cross polllinated from neighbouring plots.    Ive got a fairly decent size plot (maybe 30/40 yards long) - is it possible I could get away with it if I grew the two at extreme ends of my plot ? anyone with any experience ?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 11:10:16 »
Ive read its a bad idea to grow two different varieties

According to King's catalogue Sweetcorn comes in 3 types (Normal Sugar, Sugar Enhanced, and Super Sweet) which should be grown quite separately to prevent cross-pollination which might result in tough starchy kernels in the extra sweet varieties.

Meaning in my opinion if you avoid growing "mixed types" together, as opposed to " mixed varieties" you should be OK.

OldBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 19:44:59 »
Given that sweetcorn is wind pollinated, if your two varieties are positioned such that one is not upwind of the other you may perhaps be ok. Not much you can do about plants on other plots beyond maybe erecting a windbreak to deflect the wind around your plants to at least some extent. Nothing ventured and all that, good luck.

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 19:48:21 »
Not much you can do about plants on other plots beyond maybe erecting a windbreak to deflect the wind around your plants to at least some extent. Nothing ventured and all that, good luck.

This was my thinking - i'm probably within range of multiple other plots with sweetcorn on them and I have never had a problem.  So I'm going to take a chance

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 21:19:15 »
Last season I grew a block of 40 minipop in a bed and a similar sized block of an extra sweet variety no more than ten meters away with no problems. 

In theory this might not work, but my suspicion is that on healthy plants the male tassels drop such an abundance of pollen it simply crowds out the pollen from more distant plants.

There are other considerations too.  The pollen drop on each variety is likely to fall at exactly the correct time to fertilize the silks below.  So if the nearby types are dropping pollen just a couple of weeks earlier or later they will probably have no impact.  Finally, the cobs are pretty advanced before the female silks appear so perhaps the kernels are genetically not good but phenotypically still good eating.

I'll be doing much the same this season and risking it like you.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 08:21:35 »
I always figure that on our set of plots there must be a dozen people "in range" of pollinating my corn so frankly I have given up worrying about it and plant whatever variety I splurged out on over winter
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 15:34:49 »
i always grow two types together however they pollenate at differents times so they dont cross i do agree with tg  that varieties in the same group will not be a problem and agree with nick that  life is too short to consider all that could go wrong as said  ive never had a problem and if as you say ones at end the other at the opposite end im sure it will be fine
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 17:07:48 »
The local badgers have caused all the other plot holders to give up on sweet corn so I can grow whatever variety I like. They are grown in a badger proof 'pen' made from pallets stood on their side and chicken wire.

Agree the two varieties flowering at different times is worth considering (an early kind and mid season should extend the season and avoid excessive pollination issues. :happy7:

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 20:38:26 »
Thanks everyone for your advice on this topic - all contributions much appreciated

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal