Author Topic: Potatoes & Potato Days  (Read 1873 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Potatoes & Potato Days
« on: February 04, 2019, 19:42:54 »
Hi All,

So saturday is potato day for me  https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/250105350

I have already bought some charlottes as these sell out so quick and they have been chitting for 2 weeks already and maybe they will get started in there tubs in greenhouse in about 10 days (greenhouse been about 9 during day).

I am after two late maincrop from the list (Early Main already have have a few Bambino and Carolus that a friend has collected for me and husband is keen to try Violetta again) any below you would recomend? Needs to be a good all arounder for mash and chipping ideally but if its better at one than the other let me know :)

Early Maincrop:

Ambo, Amour, Apache, Bambino, Belle de Fontenay, Blue Belle, Carolus, Desiree, Highland Burgundy Red, International Kidney, Isle of Jura, Jazzy, King Edward, Linda, Majestic, Manitou, Maris Piper, Markies, Maxine, Mayan Gold, Mayan Twilight, Pentland Dell, Picasso, Pink Gypsy, Ratte, Record, Red Emmalie, Red King Edward, Robinta, Rooster, Salad Blue, Sante, Sarpo Blue Danube, Sarpo Kifli, Setanta, Stemster, Violetta.

Late Maincrop:

Arrran Victory, Cara, Golden Wonder, Kerr's Pink, Pink Fir Apple, Sarpo Axona, Sarpo Mira, Valor.

Anyone already been to a potato day and spotted anything new and intresting?

Cam

pumkinlover

Re: Potatoes & Potato Days
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:48:21 »
We have had our potato day and there is a good range of choices, I tend to stick to the ones I have used before though now.

ps your link is for tesco beans!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:37:09 »
I like desiree seem to be reliable for me.  Apache are fun, particularly if you eat the skin.  Not a huge crop, but I always seem to leave some behind and they keep coming back.
I like Mayan gold but the crop is small, and they are not very drought tolerant.

I grew Red Emmalie a couple of years ago, I was not impressed.  Rather too soft for me. Ended up as pink mush.

If you like a purple flesh them Purple Majesty is good, tastes rather like desiree. But that is not on your list.  I find them difficult to find in the soil.

I am off to Dundries in Cheltenham on Wednesday.  I think I will have Annabelle again they did surprisingly well last year and I am going to try Premiere and Yukon Gold.  With Desiree as my mail crop, though that will not come from Dundry, theirs do not taste right to me.  So I will buy some supermarket ones, and once I find a bag I like the taste of I will plant them.   They are becoming very variable.  The ones I want are smooth, oval and scab resistant, so I can tell from the packet.  They seem to like my soil.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 16:15:15 »
Got to love Pink Fir Apple for the character!

We got in through the doors at potato day within 5 minutes of opening. We were queuing before the doors opened. Some of the choices on offer were in short supply, others, were available only in the 2+ kilo packs. We picked some newer varieties as well as tried and tested. PFA is rather an old variety!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:13:33 »
I'm off to the Great London potato weekend!
https://www.facebook.com/events/263032564567706/

Probably wont buy that much but it's always nice to be able to pick up a couple of new varieties to try..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:27:01 »
We have had our potato day and there is a good range of choices, I tend to stick to the ones I have used before though now.

ps your link is for tesco beans!

HAHA sorry about that http://eapd.btck.co.uk/

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 10:39:03 »
Got to love Pink Fir Apple for the character!

We got in through the doors at potato day within 5 minutes of opening. We were queuing before the doors opened. Some of the choices on offer were in short supply, others, were available only in the 2+ kilo packs. We picked some newer varieties as well as tried and tested. PFA is rather an old variety!

Will look for that i can never get the challottes so bought them already.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal