Produce > Drink ....

All grain brewing

<< < (2/3) > >>

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: DrJohnH on February 04, 2019, 16:00:50 ---Great- I might give this a go- I think I have all the stuff pretty much to hand including an icebox with an outlet at the bottom.  Good idea with 10l batches- otherwise too difficult to handle at the initial stages.  Also good volume to try different recipes. 

Just ordered the book.

Watch this space.

Dr John

--- End quote ---

Good for you.  And excellent advice from Nick. You will probably need a filter at the bottom of your ice box, stainless steel mesh tube is a good option used by many. Otherwise you look well set.

In truth brewing using grain has become steadily more popular and as a consequence there is more and more helpful kit available for the home brewer. Of course this comes at a price but do consider the benefits of stainless kegs ( Cornelius kegs ). Originally containers for the soft drinks industry, some are still recycled from that source but you can also get new ones manufactured in different sizes. Twenty minutes to clean and refill. Compare that to bottles!

You will also find you can source good quality malts hops and yeast these days, every bit as good as used commercially. For many years a lot of stuff available to the home brewer was often poor.

As I do more on the allotment and other hobbies, my son brews more often than me. I have a twelve pint keg he refills sometimes for me to provide variety, as we tend to use different recipes.

Happy brewing!!

BarriedaleNick:
Well my latest effort is in the next room and by the sound of it - it is fermenting merrily away!
Those Corny Kegs look interesting but it seems I need a regulator and some other bits and bobs - still birthday in a few weeks ;-)

DrJohnH:
Got the book- very good recommendation.

I'm a bit daunted in going full pelt AG right now (partly because I don't drink much beer), but might brew a Tim Taylor extract recipe with existing gear I have (plus bottles) to see how things differ from brewing from Geordie Bitter kits (which is what I used to do about 30 years ago when I was an impoverished student).  Baby steps.

Dr John

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: BarriedaleNick on February 05, 2019, 13:08:11 ---Well my latest effort is in the next room and by the sound of it - it is fermenting merrily away!
Those Corny Kegs look interesting but it seems I need a regulator and some other bits and bobs - still birthday in a few weeks ;-)

--- End quote ---

Purely out of interest, and as i mentioned before, the range of kit available to the home based all grain brewer has grown enormously over the years.

Here is my mini keg, complete with regulator, takes small screw thread CO2 cannisters to provide top pressure, although secondary fermentation may be enough to dipsense most of the beer.
(It was a generous Christmas gift from my sons)

hippydave:
hmm Citra one of my favourite hops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version