Produce > Drink ....

All grain brewing

(1/3) > >>

BarriedaleNick:
Just recently got back into making my own beer and have given all grain brewing a go (as opposed to using malt extract).  First lot is in bottles and I may have a sniffter tonight.
Second lot is mashing away downstairs in a converted icebox. I am keeping it fairly simple at the moment as I get used to the process but I hope to get more adventurous as I get more experienced.

Anyone else into brewing beer?

DrJohnH:
Nick,

I used to brew with extract (a long time ago), but might like to give all grain a go- where did you get the info from to do this?  Do you need loads of gear to get set up?

Cheers!

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: DrJohnH on February 03, 2019, 19:05:23 ---Nick,

I used to brew with extract (a long time ago), but might like to give all grain a go- where did you get the info from to do this?  Do you need loads of gear to get set up?

Cheers!

--- End quote ---

You will need some equipment. If you intend to brew in 5 gallon batches, you have to go through five basic processes.  1) Mashing needs an insulated vessel capable of holding a good volume of grain and water for an hour or so at 68 or 69 degrees centigrade without any appreciable drop in temperature 2) Sparging  Draining the wort  and washing residual sugars out 3) Boiling needs a large vessel that can boil the sweet wort for 45 minutes minimum 4) fermentation vessel is easy almost any taint proof and easily cleaned vessel will do 5) Storage Bottles are an immense amount of work The modern solution is to use kegs Cornu kegs or modern alternatives. Stainless easily cleaned and dispense draft perfectly.

More to follow.

BarriedaleNick:

--- Quote from: DrJohnH on February 03, 2019, 19:05:23 ---Nick,

Cheers!

--- End quote ---

Old fashioned I know but I bought a book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Homebrewing-Third-Harperresource-Book/dp/0060531053
Then I went on a brew day at my local brewery

Then of course the internet where recipes and endless chat and info can be found.

In terms of kit - I had some lying around from my wine making days but I am slowly buying a few bits here and there.

To keep things simple I am doing small batches of around 10l.
As above (cheers Beersmith!) - mashing is the bit that can be tricky but an old ice box will do or you can buy them fitted out with tap and filter.  Some people just use a big bucket and wrap it up in a duvet!
Sparging can be done in the ice box.
Any big stock pot will do for a boil but I am going to have to buy one as I dont have anything big enough and have been forced to divide my wort in two so far.
Pro tip - do not try this when OH is trying to cook a roast dinner!
Cooling your wort quickly is important but at the moment I just put the fermenting bucket in a bath of cold water.
To ferment I am using a 16l plastic brew bucket.  
Bottling it is a bit of a pain but I am using 1l plastic bottles I have lying around so it doesn't take too long..

So far I can say that all grain brewing is pretty rewarding and there is a much cleaner taste to the beer than extract.  The learning curve is pretty gentle but long!  The more you read up the more you realise you have to learn..

You can do most of this on the cheap with stuff you already have but it gets easier if you buy a few bits and bobs and of course like any hobby you can go to town and buy serious kit.  As I get better I will ask for pressies - wort boiler is on my birthday list!

DrJohnH:
Great- I might give this a go- I think I have all the stuff pretty much to hand including an icebox with an outlet at the bottom.  Good idea with 10l batches- otherwise too difficult to handle at the initial stages.  Also good volume to try different recipes. 

Just ordered the book.

Watch this space.

Dr John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version