Author Topic: Been a way for 3 weeks  (Read 1731 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Been a way for 3 weeks
« on: September 28, 2019, 17:31:44 »
I expected to come back to a mess, but my preparation before I went paid off. The allotment looked quite tidy. Cropped the butternuts and still have a few courgettes and a million marrows. Sweetcorn was a disaster but there is plenty down the road in the Valley of the Green Giant where they grow it commercially and I can glean the field edges. Loads of tomatoes which will be dehydrated and bottled in oil. Winter crops look good. I'll redig a bit for autumn sown onions and broadies and start thinking about a rough dig to get some air in the ground and hope for a bit of frost to deal with the critters. Manured heavily last winter so I'll let it go another year before I feed the ground again. Although I expect a few chicken manure pellets will be used here and there if I think the plants need them.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Been a way for 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 09:31:52 »
I have just got back after nearly three weeks away and it is pishing down so I haven't been to the plots yet.  Seems like we have had a fair bit of rain though!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 10:44:07 »
Welcome back ,fellas.
Reporting 69mm of rain for September, N E Hampshire, roughly mid way between you.
Slightly over the average, just about enough to correct this years deficit against the average.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 09:20:51 »
Well the plot was fine - picked 25lbs of Toms and started harvesting the squash but they were too heavy to bring home with the spuds as well!   A few more weeds but everything seems to have been carrying on fine without me.
Despite the rain the soil wasn't that wet deep down - still an effort to dig out the spuds but a great crop of lovely big unmarked potatoes..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 18:38:46 »
Glad the plot coped without you... my son in Oxford claims they have had very little rain either, here on the other hand  the plot has had so much rain the polytunnel has it's own moat and one of the greenhouses has standing water inside.. several paths resemble streams and we are supposed to get more overnight!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal