Author Topic: Early brewers  (Read 3197 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Early brewers
« on: January 31, 2019, 21:11:05 »
Just read the news about the evidence of beer believed to have been brewed in the UK, dating back more than 2,000 years. Signs of the iron age brew from about 400BC were identified in fragments of charred residues from the beer-making process.

Well I for one will raise a glass to an unknown forebear. But for happenchance I might be stuck here forced to quaff a red wine or some other inferior concoction rather than a fine ale. So here's to you ancient brewer. You did us all a service we'll never forget.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Early brewers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:41:56 »
It strikes me as being really strange that with the heritage we have of making beer, they still managed to brew Watneys  red barrel and some people actually drink Carlsberg instead of using it for its proper use in slug traps.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 08:34:44 »
Off topic sorry but I was sad to hear that Fullers  have sold their brewery business to a Japanese (?) company. I just hope the quality remains, their  London Porter is gorgeous.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 20:15:17 »
It strikes me as being really strange that with the heritage we have of making beer, they still managed to brew Watneys  red barrel and some people actually drink Carlsberg instead of using it for its proper use in slug traps.

An object lesson in how much consumers suffer in any market that is allowed (by numerous mergers) to become dominated by just a handful of giants. All the big brewers were producing shamefully bad beer.  Remember "starlight" tasteless, abv 2%, can you believe that? This was the beer, where if anyone said "it looks like rain:" we all replied "yes, but they still charge one and thruppence a pint for it".  Or perhaps more accurately "like making love in a rowing boat" although I will leave others to work that one out.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal