Author Topic: pea seed ID help please  (Read 1314 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
pea seed ID help please
« on: January 27, 2019, 14:56:02 »
I meant to save Ave Juan grown in 2017 from the 2016 seed savers circle, but I seem to have left some unlabelled.  It did splendidly in the heatwave that year which is why I want to grow it again.

Any idea whether it is the paler one of these.  The dark tub is labelled 'unity' and I am guessing the ones mixed with the pale ones are also unity, but might the other be Ave Juan????  Thanking you in advance.....

penedesenca

• Half Acre
Re: pea seed ID help please
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 15:47:53 »
Just had a look through my peas from 2016 and Ave Juan is the likely culprit and the only other contender is Champion of England both tending to have green seeds.
In regards  to dark peas winterkefe and salmon crown pea but they don't look as fat.

My findings unfortunately don't allow for Sugar Magnolia or Magnolia Blossom as they didn't make it back in the seed box. All the others have dried to a corn type colour
Hope this helps x

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 16:23:40 »
Indeed the larger brown seeds are Unity and the smaller green/yellow ones are Ave Juan.   :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 17:36:26 »
Unity has the black spot around the hilum,  Sugar Magnolia and Magnolia Blossom do not have a black hilum spot. I see black hilum spots in the second tub.   :wave:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 19:22:08 »
Wow! 

Seriously impressive levels of in depth knowledge being displayed here. I'm in awe.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 16:41:55 »
Thanks to both of you.  I am not in awe at all  :glasses9:.  I absolutely knew you'd know  :toothy10:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal