Author Topic: scam warning  (Read 1720 times)

ACE

• Hectare
scam warning
« on: January 26, 2019, 08:53:00 »
As my new debit card has just been delivered, I have had to amend the details on some of my accounts, so it was no surprise to get an email from the TV licence  people telling me my payment has not gone through and to amend my payment method. Halfway through filling it in I thought they seem to want to many details so I had a quick google and found it was a scam site. I wiped the details clean and thought just to be safe I will phone the bank. They said there was no unusual activity with my account but cancelled my debit card. Now I have to go to the local branch and set the wheels in motion to get a new one. I feel such a stupid bugger now. But watch out if it pops up on your computer, a very convincing site.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: scam warning
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:07:37 »
Don't feel bad about it.  You were shrewd enough to spot the scam before any harm was done. You were very sensible in contacting your bank, and generous to others by drawing our attention to these contemptible thieves.

Have a like from me.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:20:57 »
Don't blame yourself Ace.  I work in IT and have to deal with a huge bunch of supposedly very clever people and you wouldn't believe how much stuff like this that they fall for.  There is so much of it about and some of it very convincing and increasingly targeted on people like our accounts dept.
I almost fell for one once.  Just got back from hols and we had used my wife's phone quite a bit (this was prior to the Eu wide phone roaming) and we came back to an email from her provider saying we had a £300 bill.  Of course it was fake and just a coincidence but the login site was convincing - the url was, of course, nothing like the correct one so I backed out...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 12:33:36 »
The most worrying I had are scams appearing to be from HMRC telling you that they have recalculated your tax return and you need to pay or get penalised.   Always check before trusting an email, however much it looks like the real thing. 

And by the way there are facebook surveys doing the rounds regularly asking for things like "what was your first car" or "where did you get married", stuff like that.  Not just 'a bit of harmless, reminiscing fun' but evil people are collecting the answers to security questions to clone your identity.  :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 21:49:02 »
Remember, if you haven't given the "sender" your email address, how can they write to YOU?
Check your sent box before opening any unusual mail.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 19:58:11 »
I almost got caught by the same scam when changing my address!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 07:50:17 »
I had problems with this as well.  My husband is just reaching 75 so we are no longer having to pay so I thought the system had messed this up.  So I spent ages waiting on the phone to the licencing to find out what was going on.  My husbands name is on the licence so they had to talk to him and since his stroke  he finds this very difficult. 
So after trying to verify his details, with me clearly in the background prompting him causing  him a deal of stress, they finally admitted that this was a scam and lots of people were getting the emails.  So why did thy have to go through security for that!!  Seems you pay for your licence the previous year anyway!!
But the licence number was on the email.  So I have been trying to get through to them that they must have a breach of security.  But they will not accept this.  Also as you say they had your email address.
Since then I have had four more and I simply report them as phishing and they disappear.
As for HMCE the emails are normally about refunds, all I have to do is enter my details and I will get a refund,  NOT. 
But HMCE worked a bit scam too.  I had to pay double last years tax in advance for this year in two instalments.  I remember it well because having to pay  50% extra last year was a bit of a shock to the system.  I had calculated how much I needed to pay and had had it ready.  But when I had finished this years calculation there was no where to put what I had already paid.  So I phone up and waited ages and ages and ages and was finally told yes it was on my record as paid and yes I could deduct it and others had also complained it was not on the self assessment online.  Cheeky b***ers.  I suppose I was supposed to pay it twice and wait for months to get it refunded. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 20:55:02 »
And another!! They are very persistent.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal