Author Topic: My Caveolo Nero is tough as old boots!  (Read 1553 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
My Caveolo Nero is tough as old boots!
« on: January 14, 2019, 18:33:42 »
For the last four years I have grown Caveolo Nero (Tuscan Kale). I've never had any problems in the past cooking it. I've just cooked it like savoy cabbage. However this year's crop are still pretty tough even after an hours boiling. Could it be due to the mad weather we had last year??
Anyone experienced this before?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: My Caveolo Nero is tough as old boots!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 19:40:42 »
For the last four years I have grown Caveolo Nero (Tuscan Kale). I've never had any problems in the past cooking it. I've just cooked it like savoy cabbage. However this year's crop are still pretty tough even after an hours boiling. Could it be due to the mad weather we had last year??
Anyone experienced this before?
Just strip the leaf from the rib stem with a knife. Steam for 3-5 minutes max.Only eat the young(er) leaf.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 21:29:01 »
The leaf is tough as well!!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 01:05:54 »
I love my cavalo nero, but I haven't tried it this winter*.

One thing I can be sure of is that when it produces its relatively weak flower shoots it will be the best broccoli that even money can't buy! Don't remove any plants before they sprout - you don't really need that space that desperately that you can't give it an extra 1 or 2 months or so...

* I have been eating my Taunton Deane kale - it is wonderfully tender despite the summer - worth steaming not boiling - though now it's a good size I only need to take the middle-sized leaves - between hand size and palm size and leave the bigger ones keeping it growing until they fade so far they can be composted.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 08:42:05 »
Mine is the opposite, really tender this year.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:29:30 »
I never use big leaves, I just take the tender ones. But I usually only grow the curly stuff now, we went over to the dark side a couple of years ago and found it too strong for my palate. Try cooking it another way instead of boiling the @rse out if it try sauted kale with olive oil and garlic, arrange it on a plate with a dressing in the shape of the mark of Zorro and instead of dining on a ten bob meal you think you will will be paying guineas for it.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:02:13 »
I,m loving mine , mmm...delicious ! ( yes ..slice out that centre rib ) I will be growing Caveolo nero again this year for sure  . We love kale .
Trespassers will be composted !

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 17:32:28 »
Same here like Vinlander described.   Taunton Deene is really good at the moment.  I harvest some of the end shoots, where the plants are encroaching on the path and also medium sized leaves. 

I have had tough and bitter Cavalo Nero and stopped growing it and now far prefer the perennial kales. :wave:   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal