Author Topic: Brussel Sprouts Survey  (Read 2454 times)

nodig

• Half Acre
Brussel Sprouts Survey
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:46:51 »
We all know the British love brussel sprouts and we eat more of them than any other European country.  Now comes the surprise - we don't grow that many in the UK.  The Netherlands grows 52 sprouts to every one of ours, Belgium 7 and Spain exactly the same as us, so we don't even beat Spain on production.  Now my question - I suspect that a lot of the sprouts eaten in the UK come from allotments so let's find out.  Did you eat sprouts on xmas day and did they come from your garden/allotment?  Many thanks.

I'll start - I bought mine from a shop - perfect and no flavour.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Brussel Sprouts Survey
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 13:29:16 »
Did you eat sprouts on xmas day and did they come from your garden/allotment?

Well I was invited out on Xmas day so I don't know where the sprouts originated from but on Boxing day the sprouts I ate were from my allotment, and they were brilliant!  But this might be down to the fact that as I was eating them; I realised they were the last I would be eating from my allotment! :sad1:

Since then I have been planning my 'vegetable growing' in my garden at home, and currently there lots of ideas are crammed between my ears and one of those is: can I find a place for around half a dozen sprout plants..........watch this space!

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 16:05:05 »
Yup- sprouts from the allotment on Christmas Day- first ones we ever grew.  Not huge, but great flavour.

Dr. John

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 17:00:03 »
Yes, plot sprouts eaten here as well :) I only grow a couple of plants as am not a sprout lover, but they are traditional for Christmas, so have to have them!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 17:27:34 »
Had brussels but sadly they came from a supermarket I have not been successful with brussels in the past as they have blown so I gave up
Barnsley S Yorks

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:46 »
Allotment sprouts, smaller than usual but very nice.
One of the few f1's I use is the sprouts and broccoli, as it's the only way I seem to get good crops.

Had last years from the freezer in bubble and squeak last night and have used them in sprout soup. Last year had a huge crop but this year slower and smaller which I expect due to the weather. So this years being used as a veg on the plate and last years used up in other ways.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 12:08:22 »
Yes: spouts from The Plot.  2 varieties, Brodie and Crispus.  First time we have grown Crispus. Just trying as they are supposed to be club root resistant.  They were a lot more successful than other varieties we have tried.  Taste????so-so but will be growing again. And yes... the sprouts were smaller than usual - must be dry summer effect.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 16:57:06 »
Thanks Tiny Clanger, I would love to know the varieties everyone grows as I would like to grow some for next winter :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 18:35:32 »
Maximus  gets my vote

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 19:30:49 »
Tee Gee they look wonderful :) :) Thank you

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 21:26:41 »
Yes my sprouts for Christmas dinner were from the plot, they were Trafalgar if I remember correctly. Very flavoursome and not a bad size but have had bigger in the past.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 08:15:43 »
I normally grow my own but did not get organised with the seeds at the right time.  Thought I would buy some plants, we used to have a brilliant supplier at our local weekly market, but they have retired and the replacement is not as good and did not have many brassicas at all.   I did manage a few Russian Kale leaves, because they self seed and grow like weeds.   So I bought a sprout tree from supermarket.  They seem to stay fresh in the fridge for ages.

I find most sprouts blow on our soil.  I like Amaroso but they are no longer available in this country, so I get them from Sluis in Holland.  I buy a couple of packets at a time and put them in the freezer.  With 60 seeds per packet they last several years.   You have to add p&p and tax to the price.  Thank you for the reminder I will see what I have frozen and order some more if needed.  Might also try Trafalgar.   

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 13:22:00 »
Mine were a mix of 3 variaties and in the end of the 12 plants i put into the ground only 3 has produced fruit so to speak. Mainly this was because they were attacked by whitefly and they eaten alive. Still not harvested them as there so small but have left them in the ground till there big enough.

NightWish

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 15:19:40 »
I was away for Christmas, but was picking Brussels before we went and have been picking regularly since then; just picked another 36.  These were from unnamed plants from a garden centre (I failed dismally to plant seeds in time).

If anyone has any receipies for them, soup, stews?  Please tell me!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 17:31:24 »
Got some really nice ones this year - Trafalgar is my go to variety but I have tried a few others.
I like them fried off with some bacon or chorizo.  Quarter them (or half if they aint big enough!) - fry the bacon so it is crispy and the fat rendered out then add the sprouts.  Make sure they get a bit of colour and them and then a splash of water or stock to bring it all together..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 22:47:11 »
Good idea 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal