Author Topic: RARING TO GO  (Read 1210 times)

ACE

• Hectare
RARING TO GO
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:35:01 »
I have all the seed packets lined up in order on the table. The heated propagator warming up, now where shall I start. Nothing to do at the plot as it is all dug and I got down on my knees to weed the onions and broad beans. Hoeing was more like smudging so I stopped. One big nearly empty plot and still a couple of months to go. I need something to do, perhaps I'll take up making corn dollies.

nodig

• Half Acre
Re: RARING TO GO
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:58 »

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: RARING TO GO
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:54:56 »
But it's chilli-chitting time - so no excuse to be lying around!

And before they sprout I need to be ready to force 70+ seedlings - my old propagator was an upside down storage box whose lid had a label flap - it wouldn't hold more than 5mm of water round the capillary platform - so I need to decide whether to buy this simpler one for £5 to do the same thing:

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-modular-storage-box-lid-75l/p/0449325?nst=0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8uzTnJ7o3wIVKLftCh0tHArLEAYYBSABEgLFk_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

- or make one from scratch with silicone and old triple-wall PC so it holds a (much more convenient) whole number of cell inserts (or a whole number of seed trays when I move on to leeks, shallots and brussels).

Either way the new box will have an old heated single tray sitting under it and LED spots mounted thro' the top like the old one.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal