Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Heirloom Eviction!

(1/4) > >>

nodig:
A made up xmas story -

About 5 years ago a group of hippy types on our site set up their own club called the Heirloom Club for those interested in heritage seeds etc.  I think there was about a dozen of them, but I didn't pay much attention to them, and just carried on as normal.

Some years went by, and I cultivated quietly in the corner of the allotment site, taking little interest in site management etc, I left that to the ones who went everyday.  I didn't really pay much attention to the yearly AGM reports either - I wasn't interested.

This rather tranquil existance came to an abrupt end on Jan 03 this year when a letter came through the post warning me that my cultivation practices would be checked in June for cultivation rules compliance.

Unnoticed by over the last few years the the small group of Heritage Seed Warriors had grown and had taken over control of the association.

The letter included a long information sheet informing me of the dangers to world ecology of using F1 seeds and that from now on only heirloom varieties would be allowed on my site.

I think this is a step too far - I understand that some believe heirloom varieties are more eco friendly, but I like the hybrid vigour and predictable results of F1 varieties.

So how do I react to this letter from the association?  .... should I ignore it and carry on planting what I want to or should abide by the rules of the new allotment management regime?

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: nodig on January 05, 2019, 12:58:39 ---
So how do I react to this letter from the association?  .... should I ignore it and carry on planting what I want to or should abide by the rules of the new allotment management regime?

--- End quote ---

You don't need to do anything. It is a made up story.

In the event that it was a true story after all, could I refer you to a comment recently posted by a member called"nodig".

My guide to successful growing.  Buy cheap seeds - never over a £1, it only encourages them.

That would put you in the clear. How many F1 varieties can you find for less than a £1?

Beersmith:
One further thought.  You have previously reported that your site is on  privately owned land. So while there may be a committee with responsibility for day to day management issues, they do not have ultimate control. That would rest with the land owner. Arguably they might overrule a committee that started to introduce arbitrary or unreasonably silly rules.

Of course, I may be wasting my time here. After all, it was a made up story.

nodig:
Thanks for your reply Beersmith  :wave:

Elfeda:
does the seed names are visible on plants or fruit when they started growing ???? use your seeds with their labels :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version