Author Topic: Wassail  (Read 1382 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Wassail
« on: January 05, 2019, 09:11:13 »
We will be wassailing the apple trees and the fruit trees at the allotment today, a big pot of mulled cider, a bit of morris dancing, in all a bit of fun. Now some of you might not believe this works so don't blame me when your plums wither.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Wassail
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 09:02:24 »
Photos please Ace.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Is there a specific date for wassailing or was it just on the last day of Christmas by coincidence.  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:10:48 »
12th night officially, but as near we can usually.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 10:48:02 »
Oh that looks like a great extension of the Christmas cheer!  Washboard included.  Thanks for showing us  :sunny:

May you, and we all, have a very good fruit harvest in 2019.     :wave:

PS as most of our trees came from Deacons IOW, I am sure they must have been blessed in some way by the effects of your previous wassailing.  I'm off to put a purple ribbon on the big Bramley apple tree.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 11:01:06 »
Definitely Deacons, we wassailed there a few years ago, the right way is to hang some toast in the branches, then with a wooden bowl of cider pouring it over the toast saying   'Here's to thee, my apple tree long may you bud and long may you blossom then give us apples galore, Hats full, caps full, bushell bushell sacks full, and some for my pockets also, Wassail! The act of pouring cider is the polite way, they used to drink it first then put the nitrates around the roots.  :drunken_smilie:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 14:21:39 »
Goodness, there is a very ritual procedure to this, Ace.  Haven't got any cider, just apple cider vinegar for our salads  atm,  does that count?  And the second version is out also, as our fruit trees are somewhat overlooked.  Not asking what you did there, but you said that mulled cider drinking was involved ..........

Clearly expert advice is needed to get this right, good to know the correct words.    :sunny:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 14:23:38 by galina »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal