Author Topic: Septic tank  (Read 1251 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Septic tank
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:12:36 »
Can anyone advise on which cleaning products are safe to use in a house with a septic tank? I've tried googling but get contradictory information and although some products say they are ok, most don't say anything.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Septic tank
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 13:15:08 »
I used to have a septic tank and never thought about what cleaners/detergents etc went down the drain. It got a bit whiffy so I had it pumped out. The tanker driver gave us a 'super culture' to use with the new biological soap powders. Never had a problem after that. This was 40 years ago so I should think any septic tank will be immune to modern cleaners nowadays.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 13:37:57 »
Comparable to a composting system but doubtlessly anaerobic. Would avoid substances such as chlorine based cleaners (bleach), detergents unless 'eco-friendly', excessive amounts of cooking fats and 'other solids' of a synthetic nature. You should be able to detect problems - use a nose!, although correctly functioning systems have a 'flavour' that is not often mistaken. Ensure that the run-off is able to percolate into YOUR ground. It must/should not enter directly watercourses, streams, public areas or that of a neighbour; above ground.

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 13:41:57 »
my dad has had one for around 20 years never cleaned it the only smell you get it when its emptied which as hes on his own now is around every 2 years :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 18:40:52 »
There are products to use if the septic tank smells and household products which you should or should not use because they end up in the septic tank.  I think you are wondering about household products going into the tank. 

We had a septic when I was a teenager and my mother used all sorts of heavy chemical cleaners which would no longer be allowed nowadays, especially for the toilet.  Never thought about what would happen to the septic tank. 

The only time it smelled was when emptying was due.  I don't exactly remember how often, but every two years sounds about right.  I seem to remember when a slight odor started my mother phoned for the tanker straightaway.    :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal