Author Topic: Who's been back after Christmas?  (Read 2893 times)

pumkinlover

Who's been back after Christmas?
« on: December 27, 2018, 15:42:02 »
Watched news yesterday and one person had gone to a shopping mall to get some fresh air??

I'd promised myself a break from gardening to do my other fibre and craft hobbies but in the end the mild weather proved too much so off I plodded. Spent morning hoeing (well more like dragging out the weeds)

Afternoon cleared the lawn (again) of leaves but left the lots of apples for the birds which have been enjoying them. We have loads left and eating them most days. Should help the grass as it was going yellow under the leaves. Plenty of leaf mold  :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: Who's been back after Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 16:19:03 »
Today was just a bit of weeding , pruning and tidying up in garden. Tomorrow looks mild, still and dry, so I think that means off down the plots for a good workout!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 16:58:06 »
Have picked some cavolo nero for dinner and checked my garlic which is growing well.   Lemons and limquats doing fine in the polytunnel and several peppers ripening nicely.

Been busy up until Xmas with crafty stuff - patchwork table runners and felt tree decs - so starting to feel the need of a good weeding session.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 18:05:35 »
Will probably go tomorrow to pick up a few tools I want to fetch home, plus I will check the sprouts and winter greens and harvest the best of what is left........and that will be it!

Had a look through the RHS seed scheme today and selected a few seed varieties I have never grown before just to give me a bit of a challenge over the coming months as I acclimatise to not having an allotment.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 20:33:55 »
Went and done an hours digging today, just to clear a fuzzy head really. No sales yesterday, queueing up for the stockroom tat that has not sold at full price does not interest me. Went to the traditional Boxing day Morris Dance instead. Then retired to the pub for some ale and singing.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 20:56:59 »
Just for a look. Pleasant walk to blow the cobwebs away. Made a few mental notes about what needs doing. I enjoy planning for next season. Reading another thread I'm wondering about trying oca.

So a big thank you to all, especially for the wealth of fresh Ideas. Always something to learn.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 22:27:56 »
Went out first thing on Christmas Day and picked various lettuce, lambs lettuce, cress and mustard bits to make nicely decorated salad plates for our starter.  Fleece had blown off cloches, but despite that the greens were fine.  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 08:04:11 »
Went out first thing on Christmas Day and picked various lettuce, lambs lettuce, cress and mustard bits to make nicely decorated salad plates for our starter.  Fleece had blown off cloches, but despite that the greens were fine.  :wave:

We are still working our way through the squash  (one was damaged so needing eating) so it was soup for starter! :sunny: :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:55:17 »
I've been Tom Dick for about a week so I literally haven't been out the house for days.
Going out for a walk to the plot today - I need to get some veg in for the Turkey soup!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:55:58 »
I've been Tom Dick for about a week so I literally haven't been out the house for days.
Going out for a walk to the plot today - I need to get some veg in for the Turkey soup!

Oh no that's a :pottytrain2:
Hope you feel better, I don't suppose you had much of a Christmas.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 15:42:22 »
Hope you feel better, I don't suppose you had much of a Christmas.

I've been looked after!
To be honest though it was always going to be a quiet one.  My FIL passed away this recently and we had the MIL for a few days - she is having a hard time. To top it all one of my best mates died recently too so we haven't felt like doing much celebrating.
Still OH loves Christmas so we have had plenty of grub and pop to see us through..

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 16:27:12 »
I popped down today took the veg peeling for the compost bin. Picked a swede and a cabbage :)
Puddles everywhere, couldn't have done any digging, even if I had wanted to..

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 17:11:56 »
Two hours digging-in of the hops that were spread back in Sept/Oct and then covered with plastic sheets. Ground was a bit heavier than I would have liked, but not too bad.
Certainly got some of the cobwebs out of my system.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 19:12:19 »
Went to harvest salads:lettuce,rocket, winter radish, spinach,miners lettuce and a few carrots. Found that 'Santa' the treefeller had delivered two lorry loads of coarse woodchip, so will return tomorrow to replenish and extend the pathways- now 'no-mow' as well as 'no-dig'
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 13:20:08 »
No chance of doing any gardening in the South West, not stopped raining since November and everything too soggy to tread on. Got the last of the leaves up in a drizzle the other day but apart from that just going stir crazy. Chiltern Seeds Catalogue just arrived so at least I can dream of Spring.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 13:51:18 »
Just been out and it is 12C.  No wonder the turnips have grown, some are now tennis ball sized, definitely ready to harvest.  And the salad greens have new leaves too.  Spotted the first bud on one of the daffodil shoots.  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 08:17:46 »
Done a bit more yesterday and I expect a couple of hours again today. My new plot is a lot dryer than my older ones which were lower down the slope. I dug it in the Autumn then spread the whole plot with manure. Now in anticipation of some cold weather I am giving it another once over with a heavy duty shovel to get big lumpy bits to the top and get the manure dug in. I like frosting the sub soil a bit to get rid of any nasties, get the air in and it also makes it more usable for deeper planting.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 09:54:43 »
Got out yesterday and got a lovely celeriac - First time i have got anyhting bigger than a tennis ball.  Not as big as what you get in the shops but big enough!

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 13:09:38 »
Got out yesterday and got a lovely celeriac - First time i have got anyhting bigger than a tennis ball.  Not as big as what you get in the shops but big enough!

Good effort in view of the summer we had!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal