Author Topic: 29th May  (Read 1232 times)

ACE

• Hectare
29th May
« on: December 21, 2018, 07:57:13 »
How many knew that this date is national composting day. Let's get a protest going on that day and get every gardener in the country to just go to their local supermarket or shop and ask why they are not making more use of compostable wrappers and bags. If enough of us do it could make the news and enlighten a few more people. I am going to and I will ask ten friends to also  see the manager to ask him the same question. Who's with me. As it is also Oak Apple day it would be nice to wear an oak leaf a sign of solidarity.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: 29th May
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 20:24:12 »
I really admire the intention.  Trouble is, the people in positions of responsibility, have a nack of putting a lot of other people in junior positions between them and us.

I often find this when trying to complain. You end up talking to someone who has so little authority they probably have to check with their manager before going for a pee. They have no authority to do anything about the complaint, and frankly I think this is exactly what businesses want.

I suspect the typical supermarket manager is actually very very low down in the decision making processes about waste, packaging and use of compostable materials. I feel in a bind. I'd like to register my feelings, but would be reluctant to harangue a glorified shelf stacker. Target the head office maybe?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: 29th May
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:04:35 »
I agree with you Beersmith. Having had ,in the past, experience in dealing with major supermarkets, I can conc ur that the management treat all lower tiers as if they were themselves compostable. However, it would do no harm to pursue this through the tier, just ask for the names of the immediate heirachy, mentioning that you will remark upon their willingness to assist.
More likely to succeed would be a request that they permit you to collect 'vegetative waste, card etc' so that you can make use of it for your composting.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal