Author Topic: flu jab  (Read 2856 times)

ACE

• Hectare
flu jab
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:04:43 »
Had to make an appointment this year, usually they have a jab hour where you all line up like soldiers and march in arm bared, jabbed, out again sit down for twenty minutes then all done. If you do not make an appointment you don't get done. Anyway no sit down after this time, arrived home felt sick and had to shout down the big white telephone, wobbly for a while, then ached all night. All better this morning but that must have been a strong one this year, never felt ill before and I have been having these jabs for quite a while now. So if you get one have a sit in the surgery for a while.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: flu jab
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:21:18 »
Yes, a totally different, and hopefully more effective, formula this year - I felt decidedly off colour for a good few days as well as having a very sore shoulder!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:23:05 »
Same here this year.  I got the under 65s jab (there is a different one this year for the over 65s).  Never had an issue, but felt a bit ill this year and had a swollen arm for the best part of a week.   So did son.  :wave:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:24:42 by galina »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 10:33:53 »
All OK in this part of the country even the wife who usually gets some type of after effect was OK this year!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 13:09:17 »
We had the correct one each and neither had any issues at all.
One year we all had them at work and everyone else had a sore arm, I didn't but had a red reaction.
Guess who got the sympathy!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 14:13:47 »
Had my jab at Boots, easier to get to on my m-scooter. I was also asked to rest for 10 minutes so I had a wander round the store a bit then scooted home :happy7: - no reaction at all.

Tricia :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 14:24:37 »
I was advised many years ago by a doctor friend to give my daughter a dose of baby paracetamol before all her infancy vaccines as it reduces reactions.   OH and I now apply this advice to our own anual flu jab and any ohers we may need - Shingles etc.  I still get a sore arm but don't feel unwell.  Have to go to the doc for the prescription but then can go to the community nurse on any of 4 mornings a week without an appointment and just behind the pharmacy so very handy.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 15:03:19 »
Question????

Do organic gardeners have Flu Jabs?

If they do;

why won't they give their plants chemicals yet they let the medical practitioners inject them with chemicals? :confused3: :dontknow: :icon_santa:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 17:00:52 »
When some plants get bitten they produce chemicals to deter pests, we just let the nurse do the 'biting' to provoke resistance. I'd certainly resist if she jabbed me much harder  :tongue3:

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 22:33:06 »
Yep we had ours ...also had the Pneumonia jab...its a one time only jab ...you have to ask for that one.  Good to be protected . I was very ill with flu last winter, I dont want to get it again !  :coffee2: Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 07:35:03 »
Question????

Do organic gardeners have Flu Jabs?

If they do;

why won't they give their plants chemicals yet they let the medical practitioners inject them with chemicals? :confused3: :dontknow: :icon_santa:

But the flu jab is an small quantity  of an attenuated form of the actual virus. So is it a bit like homeopathy???    :glasses9: :glasses9::glasses9:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 18:26:44 »

But the flu jab is an small quantity  of an attenuated form of the actual virus. So is it a bit like homeopathy???    :glasses9: :glasses9::glasses9:

Attenuated vaccines are weakened forms of the virus and are normally given in nasal spray.  Most, if not all, of the shots given in the UK are comprised of dead virus fragments (or killed virus).  Enough of the shell of the virus remains intact to provoke the immune system into producing antibodies but there is no viral payload to actually make you ill. 
Even though you can't catch flu from the vaccine it does provoke your immune system and can make you sore or nauseous.

Of course this is an organic process as the virus is grown in chicken eggs so perfectly fine for organic gardeners (aside from the Formaldehyde and Aluminium salts  :happy7:
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 11:25:32 »
Thanks BN, my comment was meant to be a bit  :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: in cheek.!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 17:36:14 »
Yeah I know but I cant resist anything sciency!  :blob7:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 17:44:25 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 19:13:24 »
Yeah I know but I cant resist anything sciency!  :blob7:

Geek  :toothy10:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 19:18:19 »
Formaldehyde is not an ingredient as such. It is used early in the process of producing vaccines to either kill or inactivate the virus.  Once it has done its job, it is removed as far as is possible. The removal involves a dilution process but it is possible tiny trace amounts may be found in the final vaccine.

Formaldehyde is harmful in high concentrations. However, it is known to occur quite naturally in the human body at very low levels because it is involved in some metabolic processes so the traces in vaccines do not pose any health risks.

Now call me a geek. I dares ya.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 19:24:56 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 08:11:31 »
Formaldehyde is not an ingredient as such. It is used early in the process of producing vaccines to either kill or inactivate the virus.  Once it has done its job, it is removed as far as is possible. The removal involves a dilution process but it is possible tiny trace amounts may be found in the final vaccine.

Formaldehyde is harmful in high concentrations. However, it is known to occur quite naturally in the human body at very low levels because it is involved in some metabolic processes so the traces in vaccines do not pose any health risks.

Now call me a geek. I dares ya.
Can it be transferred into the context of slug control
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 19:45:15 »
I normally pickle my beetroot in vinegar but this year by accident I used the formaldehyde that my brother who works at the mortuary gave me last xmas as a present.  My question is will it be safe to eat the 'pickled' beetroot or should I play safe and leave it this year, and just eat salt and vinegar Pringles.  Advice needed.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 23:27:40 »
I normally pickle my beetroot in vinegar but this year by accident I used the formaldehyde that my brother who works at the mortuary gave me last xmas as a present.  My question is will it be safe to eat the 'pickled' beetroot or should I play safe and leave it this year, and just eat salt and vinegar Pringles.  Advice needed.

Lucky you. What a wonderful present. The beetroot will be fine provided you liquidise it first and inject it.

Do not eat the Pringles. Completely deadly even in tiny quantities.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

pumkinlover

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 08:15:16 »

Lucky you. What a wonderful present. The beetroot will be fine provided you liquidise it first and inject it.

Do not eat the Pringles. Completely deadly even in tiny quantities.

Beetroot tattoo?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal