Author Topic: First Allotment  (Read 3386 times)

nodig

• Half Acre
First Allotment
« on: December 16, 2018, 19:18:59 »
Here we go again :wave: :wave: I was thinking back in time and tried to remember how old I was when I got my first allotment, and my best guess is about age 23.  I half cultivated for about one or two seasons until being told by the site secretary (a fireman who cultivated 3 full size plots despite being on seemingly permanent sick leave with his 'bad back'?) that the committee were thinking about sending me a letter.  Rather than argue that I was doing my best considering limited time availabilty due to work commitments, I simply told him what his committee could do with their letter, packed my bags and drove off - never to return.  I didn't return to allotmenteering for about 20 years.

My question is at what age did you start your first allotment? This is mainly aimed at those who have now had a good innings at allotmenteering rather than newcomers to the trade.

Any takers? Any started younger than 23?  The oldest starter would be interesting as well.

Thanks   

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: First Allotment
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:05:21 »
That would be around the same age as I bit into a tomato in May in Switzerland and "saw seeds".  Chucked some onto an uncultivated spot of grass behind the back door and forgot about it.  Blow me down one tomato plant emerged and grew to a reasonable size without any tending as such and in October there were tomatoes. 

A year later (now in UK) we bought a few plants and stuck them into the ground at our flat and they did well also.  Two years later first allotment and I've been on a learning curve ever since.   :sunny:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 07:10:08 »
First allotment must have been 68/69ish But first plot was in the back garden when the front garden was lawn and flowers and the back garden was veg way back in the early fifties. Every nipper was given their own little patch. Spuds that had started sprouting in the larder, beans started on blotting paper, carrot tops that had rooted on the top of a fish paste jar and radishes that were fast enough growers to keep you interested. Grandad taught you how to rake and hoe with short broken handled tools. If you got better you might get a few skinny cabbage/sprout plants that were not used in the main garden and the prize of a strawberry runner if you were lucky.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 08:06:44 »
First plot was in my back garden and I was 22 or 23. 
First allotment in 1993 when I was 34, I had been using the back garden again but wanted more space and an ornamental garden at home. Mr PKL happily agreed as he didn't expect me to stick to it.

Love your story about the tomato seeds Gallina.

Thinking back I did a lot of the gardening at home too, including a greenhouse crammed into a tiny back yard.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 18:39:07 »
I got my first plot in 2005 when I retired and moved up to Yorkshire it was a 15 min walk then in 2013 I managed to get a new plot right opposite my house which is a few seconds walk so a very enjoyable 13 years
Barnsley S Yorks

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 21:43:10 »
One of my chores in my early teens was digging the back garden. So gardening had little attraction back then. I tried a plot when in my early thirties, but with kids and little time gave up after a couple of years. Started again in a small way in my mid fifties. I really became enthusiastic when I took partial retirement a few years later. Now fully retired and enjoying it more than ever.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal