Author Topic: Late Pear Suggestions please  (Read 1752 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Late Pear Suggestions please
« on: December 12, 2018, 19:07:45 »
I finished the last of my pears this week and to be honest I had to speed up with eating them as they were getting over ripe. I thought it would be great to get a variety that will keep into the new year if possible. What varieties do people recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Late Pear Suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 18:25:44 »
 Winter Nellis Pear can be stored until as late as march
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 19:56:43 »
Mine are all safely in kilner jars waiting for Christmas time dinners to go with rich chocolate mousse, but that is not what you were asking for winecap. 

I have never thought of pears as storing like apples.  Are they as good and juicy as in September?  I have heard of Winter Nelis pear.  Has anybody eaten them and how good are they in winter?  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 21:18:12 »
Mine are all safely in kilner jars waiting for Christmas time dinners to go with rich chocolate mousse, but that is not what you were asking for winecap. 

I have never thought of pears as storing like apples.  Are they as good and juicy as in September?  I have heard of Winter Nelis pear.  Has anybody eaten them and how good are they in winter?  :wave:
i grow them yes they store and eat very well however i eat most of mine by feb /end of jan  sweet soft flesh i think they are type C  pollenation and have frost hardy blossom so its a good late pear for the north

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 21:23:30 »
Thanks. I was just about to echo galina's question. I'm resigned to the fact my pears wont last all year round, but extending the season would be nice. Is anybody eating any other variety at the moment?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 21:45:53 »
Comice pear is supposed to last until Christmas, ours seem to make the middle of November.  I think you have to pick them well underripe to get them to Christmas Winecap. 

Johhnyco, thank you for the description of Winter Nelis and its flavour.  How mature do you pick them and how do you store them?   :wave:

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 23:08:21 »
Ouch. Winter Nelis £50 from Thompson and Morgan. Does that mean they are really good, or just not very common? Anybody winter pruning and wanting to share scion wood?

I have a young comice which I grafted, but its not fruited yet. Maybe I'll get something off it next year. To be honest I've got six pear trees at the moment. Three  bought, two grafted myself and one unwanted tree from a friends garden which she bought and then rejected. Three are fruiting well with up to about 50 pears on each tree. The others are still coming of age. They are very productive for the size of tree and I'm a big fan!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 18:56:35 »
Comice pear is supposed to last until Christmas, ours seem to make the middle of November.  I think you have to pick them well underripe to get them to Christmas Winecap. 

Johhnyco, thank you for the description of Winter Nelis and its flavour.  How mature do you pick them and how do you store them?   :wave:
i do much the same pick them when yellow  [when they turn redthey are a little over too store]wrap in paper cold frost free dark box check them regular for rot all done  chris bowers have winter nelis from £19.95 hope this helps

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 20:30:12 »
Cheers. I think I have found one locally. Thanks.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 19:05:43 »
Cheers. I think I have found one locally. Thanks.
fanastic please let me know how you get on not sure what part of the country you live but its a all rounder in my opinion as far as weather goes good luck

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 18:33:59 »
I found a YouTube video from Stephen Hayes entitled "late winter pears, 3 varieties." Winter Nelis was highly recommended there too. Good to know its highly regarded by Stephen too.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal