Author Topic: Xmas party tonight.  (Read 1722 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Xmas party tonight.
« on: December 08, 2018, 18:34:29 »
Allotment party tonight, pub on the bus route, plate of grub for the American buffet and a nice new digging fork for the raffle (spare one I got in a sale). Apparently I must have had one to many last time we met as it seems I volunteered to be  the entertainment. There should be enough room for them to caper and do-si-do. Otherwise I shall be doing some recitations, let's hope they are not easily offended.

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: Xmas party tonight.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 18:37:43 »
I'm sure you'll be brill !!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 20:51:58 »
Sounds a brilliant evening, have fun :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 23:09:39 »
Great night, double bass, 3 guitars, one flute, me on the squeezebox and load of voices singing xmas songs, ran out of xmas songs so done something typically irish. (went out and dug up the carpark) :drunken_smilie:  Pigged out on home made food and pickles what could be better.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 23:34:43 »
Just come home from ours.(22.45) had a good night, although for some reason it seemed to finish early this year, as normally I am fetching myself another pint at this time of the evening.

I notified the plot holders that I was leaving and had a good chat with each of them individually (those who I do not see because they are at work all day)and as I suspected there were a few who avoided me ( the committee)  which was not surprising as they are partially the reason I am leaving the plots.

I got over this by asking the plot holders publicaly if I had their permission to visit the plots as and when I wanted and would it be possible to attend their open day and Xmas dinner next year ( I knew the committee would not invite me) and I got their unaminous support so it will be interesting to see if I do get an invite to these events in future!

I am afraid the committee is going the way of the world and want their ego trip. In this case; winning the "best allotment site" within in the council boundary is paramount and the running of the plots is secondary.

I wouldn't have' minded so much but it was me who in the past set up the "getting together" aspect of the plots which I consider more important than a trophy.

It must be ten years or more since I set up the Xmas dinner, the summer open day, discount seeds  and farm yard manure deliveries and other community spirited things rather than "trumpet blowing" but that is all in the past simply because ( in my opinion) it's all about their ego trips.( The people I set up these events with have all left the plots now).

So yes it is a bit of "sour grapes" on my part but I absolutely hate egotists who purely put  them selves before the people they think they are helping so rather than join them I have left rather than be a hypocrite by going along with their ways!

To end on a more satisfying note it was lovely to have a good natter with the people I did have a chat with as it was those people who made my night so enjoyable.

So their endeths an era! Which if I am honest was a very enjoyable era, all thirty years of it,despite its ending!

So now time for my bedtime cocoa :coffee2:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:51:07 »
It is a shame you felt the committee was one of the instigators of you packing up. But I expect you also wanted to reduce the work load. We have a member with a wealth of knowledge who also packed up his plot this year. But he is still going to use a very small part of somebodies big plot to have an excuse for coming to the site and having a chat and a laugh. I also got home earlyish for my Horlicks but found a better way to take my malt. :drunken_smilie:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 11:28:26 »
Thanks for your reply Ace and sorry I high jacked your thread but when I read it I was in a melancholy mood so I had to put pen to paper so to speak to get it off my chest.

Another strange thing happened at the get together last night ( I think I am fated )and that was one of the plot holders  told me that their was a rip in the tunnel skin I have on the roof of my old greenhouse which is well over 40 years old and I have been giving it the " sticking plaster" treatment ever since I took it on board all those years ago.

Well the thing is I have always said that when the greenhouse gives up I will give up too, plus I have always said that when allotmenteering becomes a chore I would give up, so I guess I have got the message as both of these events have now come to pass.

Strangely enough this has comforted me a bit so I now think I have made the right decision  and that now is indeed the time to move on to pastures new!

Well that's the requiem over .......glad to hear you had a great night with your fellow plot holders I hope you did not do tooo much damage to the car park :happy7:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:04:37 »
I now think I have made the right decision  and that now is indeed the time to move on to pastures new!

You will miss it for a while until you find yourself too busy again to think about it. I gave up a plot once because of being too much to fit in, a month later I wondered how I did have the time. I could use my garden for all my gardening needs but I enjoy the craic with the regular old boys at the allotment, sometimes you would think it was an episode of the last of the summer wine. Just keep on gardening, find another hobby, get in touch with the local rag and offer them a gardening column.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 13:46:52 »
but I enjoy the craic with the regular old boys at the allotment, sometimes you would think it was an episode of the last of the summer wine

I used to love the craic and would you believe it? I live in the Summer Wine area, but sadly all the old guys have left or died and I am the only old guy (or was) left  add to that around 70% of the plot tenants are women and they don't seem to have the time to stop and have a natter. :coffee2:

As I always go down in the morning and never at the weekend I have not seen anyone let alone have the craic with someone for about the last two months!

So as I said: I think I have made the right decision  but thanks for your thoughts & opinion....Tg

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 15:17:05 »

70% of the plot tenants are women

Shhhhhhh, keep it under your hat otherwise nodig will have another survey. :tongue3: 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal