Author Topic: Eating up.  (Read 2934 times)

OldBob

• Not So New ...
Eating up.
« on: December 07, 2018, 19:07:02 »
Well, we've eaten all the potatoes and tomatoes now, strange they are related and run out together. Plenty of celeriac, turnip, parsnips, leeks, onions and a few beets left though. How are the rest of you doing? Harvests were smaller, both in size of individual plants and the quantity that survived for most people I think.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Eating up.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 21:14:23 »

here on the sunshine coast we only have an average rainfall of 12"  a year  so i put huge amounts of organic matter into the soil the cover with weed membrane all to stop water evaporation then any crops that i can i plant through the menbrane again to stop weeds and keep moisture in doing this i didnt really see much of a difference in size of plants or yield  but for some yes this hot summer did take its toll on size of produce however i think with a little foresight this can be avoided hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 21:26:32 »
I will be using the last of the tomato tomorrow (roasting with shallots and garlic), still loads of apples we picked about 6 weeks ago and stored in garage in cardboard wrapping each in tissue (keeping harriet busy). Just brought in 4 apples to make a batch of mince meet and there just as good as when we packed them away.

Not made it over to the veg beds for a few weeks due to the weather but have carrots and parsnips going for christmas, b.sprouts are both small and damaged from the greenfly so i am unlikly to have anything from them. Should have enough Kale and spinach for new year. Leeks are still small and a few are covered in black scale type insect have used soapy water but not checked it recently.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 14:18:08 »
I did have a few carrots but the deer have been enjoying them.  No carrots left only deer poo. 

I do have some spinach.  And I found one raspberry. 

I have quite a lot of Russian Kale but I think I will leave it to get a bit bigger.  It is getting nibbled which is unusual so have netted it.

My parsnips were a total failure but I still have tromba d'albenga  squash.

Did find some potatoes that I missed. they were quite big, so had a nice tasty jacket potato. Desiree.

We had so little rain over the summer, watering was a nightmare.  Water table is still low, so we need a lot more rain before the spring.  Went to Hereford last week and was amazed by the amount of water in the river, its been raining somewhere.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 18:03:37 »
I have some cavolo nero still to crop and some broccoli too tho it has slowed down now.  Have yet to harvest fartichokes and Bintje potatoes which are lates, intended for mash and baking.   Sort of hoping being left in the ground will fatten them up now the rain has arrived.    Still have some garlic left and next year's crop is growing nicely now.  Loads of assorted squashes and pumpkins to eat too.

In the PT I found half a dozen green peppers have finally fattened up and one is starting to turn red.   A dozen lemons coming in the little Meyer lemon and quite a lot of limquats fattening up too.    Sadly, OH's sprouts which I'd potted up waiting for him to clear some ground for them have survived in the PT.  I hate sprouts.
Obxx - Vendée France

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 18:06:59 »
Still got leeks and parsnips in hope they are ok because not been to allotment all week been too much rain
Barnsley S Yorks

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 20:51:36 »
Currently available here:
Spuds
Carrots
Onions
Shallots
Garlic
Leeks
Turnips
Parsnips
Winter Radish
Lettuce
Endive
Lambs lettuce
Miners lettuce
Land cress
Rocket
Mitzuna
Chard
Spinach
Celeriac
Swede
Savoy cabbage
Kale-3 varieties
Beetroot
Cauliflower-last few
Squash
Dried beans, soup peas
For later:
Brussels, psb, curly kale, spring cabbage
Celery -soup quality
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

OldBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 23:52:47 »
That's am impressive list Ancells, well done!

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 09:02:18 »
Beetroot
Cabbage
Pepper
Squash
Brussels
Kale
Tomatoes (bottled)
Apples
Garlic and a few onions
Very low potato stocks, must grow more next year

All the fruit is in the freezer.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 18:01:35 »
Lots of bottled tomatoes and at least 20 bags frozen, also peas and beans.  We are still on the defective potatoes for quick eating or too small to store, but soon the first stored box will be opened, certainly for celebration roasties.  Have started on the not so well storing squashes (the pepo squashes) but had one maxima squash with a soft spot which had to be used up.  Onions and garlics still storing, also apples.  Turnips are nice and have fattened up globes which is good as I sowed very late.  Lots of red mustard, cress, lettuce and a bit more coriander and endive under cloches.  A few salsify but more celeriacs to come.  Carrots I would love to grow but usually fail, there are never any to store.  Lots of kales, especially the perennial ones.  This morning I harvested the last outdoor grapes, for once we had sweet grapes thanks to the hot summer.  Plenty of leeks and parsnips to come too. 

I exchanged the greenhouse soil by swapping it with the front of the large growing area in the garden and that has given me a bonus harvest.  I usually broadcast lettuce and lambs lettuce seeds in the greenhouse and they pop up when they feel like it in early spring.  Well the swapped soil grew beans, for crop rotation, which have long gone, but dozens of lambs lettuces have now sprung up from dormant seeds.  That will make a nice garnish for the Christmas starters.   And they survive winter without protection too if any are left.  Lots of chard too. 

The big failure was rocket for overwintering this autumn.  First sowing was demolished by flea beetles, second by pest unknown, who ate it down to stumps.  Third sowing in greenhouse has not come up yet.  Can't win them all  :sunny:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal