Author Topic: Lets have a winter argument.  (Read 4941 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Lets have a winter argument.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 14:47:17 »
Or the Americanisation of Christmas?
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 14:52:20 »
Having read all of the above who should I award this to?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 15:00:58 »
See what I mean, even the good old wooden spoon is a salad spoon :toothy10:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 20:27:45 »
I see that spoon as a good wide one for beating butter and sugar at the start of a cake - altho I haven't done that since I was at school.  Love kitchen technology - within reason.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 21:40:04 »
I see that spoon as a good wide one for beating butter and sugar at the start of a cake - altho I haven't done that since I was at school.  Love kitchen technology - within reason.
Sorry, cant like that!
 Butter =dairy=cow =calf=vegan gets excited! That must not happen because, in promoting their point of view, some of these 'Extremists' offer physical threats and intimidation to farmers engaged wholly in decent, legal, sustainable, honest ,production to feed the population of the world.
Live but let live.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 22:24:30 »
Sometimes, only butter will do the job.  I just prefer to beat it with electronic assistance these days.  I wonder what extreme vegans have to say about technology and power sources.   Minefield really.
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 08:52:55 »
Certainly they would be very unhappy with those giant wheels being turned by over-grown hamsters to power up the wind turbine blades so that it looks as if they are actually working.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 11:12:09 »
Well this is embarrassing.

I have read the last three comments and have to admit, I can not tell which are serious and which are being ironic. I think two are probablyy tongue in cheek, but there is one where I'm not too sure.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 12:31:44 »
So, next question. Why do vegetarian meals have to be made to look like meat? I mean Veggie burgers that bleed? For heaven's sake!
Today we are having Chestnut Lasagne, no cheese on it as I am lactose intolerant. It does not look anything like lasagne made with mince meat and why should it.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 13:09:53 »
We like vegetables and pulses and often have vegetarian meals but never pretend sausages/mince/burgers.    Don't see the point of quorn or tofu and they're not needed if you know about combining pulses with carbs to get a whole protein and thus a balanced diet.

Flavour for me every time and texture too.   I wonder how much energy and water and waste go into producing quorn and tofu.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 15:01:51 »
veggie chilli today, not vegan because I like soured cream, nachos and cheese layered in it. Some days meat, some day veggie, just because that is what is in the larder. I do like those Linda Mcartney sausages though even if they are pretend, not as a veggie meal because they might be on the same plate as eggs and bacon. The majority of my friends are vegan and vegetarian, but they are not the preaching type. We eat mainly vegetable meals because we have so many of them so we look up veggie recipes on the internet and most of them are tasty enough to eat. If they are too bland then the chorizo comes into play just to boost the flavour.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 16:47:20 »
I'll stick to what I was taught and that is:

"A Little of what you fancy does you Good"

In fact I am chief cook & bottle washer tonight as the wife is away Xmas shopping with her mates so I am off to have a look and see what I fancy! :walk:

...and it won't be this:  :spam1:

:wave: :coffee2:

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2018, 20:44:01 »
So the Monty Python menu would not be popular.

Egg and bacon
Egg and Spam
Egg, bacon and Spam
Egg, bacon, sausage and Spam
Spam, bacon, sausage and Spam
Spam, egg, Spam, Spam, bacon and Spam
Spam, Spam, Spam, egg and Spam
Spam, Sausage, Spam, Spam, Spam, Bacon, Spam, Tomato and Spam

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2018, 21:55:15 »
I forgot the final menu item.

Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top, and Spam.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2018, 16:21:34 »
Many of us seem to share a disapproval of things getting too politically correct.  So can you guess the Christmas songs being described here from a rather PC perspective.

Song one: Includes mockery and bullying followed by social exclusion simply because someone looks different.

Song two: A person of power and privilege uses a charitable act as virtue signalling rather than support a decent welfare system.

Song three: A song of rampant gluttony involving large numbers of innocent game birds shocks vegans.

Song four: A blatant misuse of confidential personal data leads to arbitrary rewards and penalties in outrageous breech GDP regulations.

Answers later.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2018, 16:37:27 »
SPOILER ALERT

My attempt:

One: Rudolph the red nosed reindeer?
Two: Good King Wenceslas?
Three: 12 days of Christmas?
Four: Santa Claus is Coming to Town?

Enjoyed that.  Thanks.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 18:00:45 »
Dr John

I award a prize of praise. Four out of four.

A couple are perhaps a bit obvious, but for the other two here, for other readers, are the key lines.

All of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names, they never let poor Rudolph join in any reindeer games

He's making a list and checking twice, he's gonna find out who's naughty or nice

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2018, 18:28:37 »
Dr John

I award a prize of praise. Four out of four.

But do you know how to twerk

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 23:30:44 »
You guys might enjoy these twists on classics:

O Holiday Tree
Have Yourself a Merry Little Day of Winter
Frosty the Snowperson
Chestnuts Roasting on a Safely Contained, Continuously Monitored Eco-Friendly, Nontoxic outdoor fire (for which I do have a Permit)
Higher Power Rest ye Merry Gentlemen
Grandma Allegedly Got Run Over by an unidentified non-human perpetrator
Deck the Halls with Boughs of Unidentified foliage (if office policy permits)
Hark! The Herald Mythical Winged Creature Sings
I saw Mommy Greeting Santa Claus with a Purely Platonic Expression of Inoffensive mutual affection
I’ll Be Home for a short period of time in December

I asked the missus about "Twerk"- the response "What's twerk?" she's currently "Googling" "Twerking"

Update- "I'm not twerking anybody- I thought it was like "Tweeking" "They can Pi$$ off"

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2018, 16:42:33 »
Cars with nobody in but the driver - where decent public transport is available. Sitting & fuming in jams of their own making.

I know some will be carrying stuff where it's needed, but I get the impression that most of the time the car is just a powered wheelchair for the able-bodied (who are probably digging their own grave by using those pedals instead of a bike).

I can see why you wouldn't want to waste your own energy when going to do something physically demanding - but don't start me on the "types" who drive to the gym etc... Ten minutes less on foot and ten minutes more on the treadmill - how does that make it worth burning fuel?

:BangHead:
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal