Author Topic: Used Cooking Oil  (Read 1525 times)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Used Cooking Oil
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:51:56 »
Just wondering does anyone dispose of their used cooking oil on their allotment ?

I understand it is not really advised to add to a compost heap as it slows down rotting by preventing air getting to the material
Also I guess it would attract rats etc if used straight onto the soil.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Used Cooking Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 14:13:41 »
i use it to paint fences and sheds works a treat also as bonfire starter all good
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 15:55:07 »
I run my landrover on it.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 19:43:15 »
i use it to paint fences and sheds works a treat also as bonfire starter all good

That's a great idea - I don't have fences and my shed is so old it was creosoted very thoroughly "old-school" before I got it, but I do have raised beds - and most of the wood came (and still comes) from skips - and most of that dates back before tannalising was standard.

I would benefit from using a sustainable preservative on the side in contact with the soil - cooking oil fits the bill - but I'm too lazy to paint it - I need to make a 2.5m x 20cm trench lined with plastic so I can soak my next batch of replacement timbers. It will need a good cover too (in this weather...).

I might even eat healthier from not re-using the oil until it's brown - now there's a way to not waste it.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 20:34:37 »
Or you could stop deep frying.

Or change to one of the more modern fryers that use much less oil.

Or when the oil starts to age switch to using it up in small amounts by shallow frying.

But in any event I applaud your efforts to put it to good use rather than simply throwing it.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:37:30 »
Or you could stop deep frying.

Or change to one of the more modern fryers that use much less oil.

Or when the oil starts to age switch to using it up in small amounts by shallow frying.

But in any event I applaud your efforts to put it to good use rather than simply throwing it.

Good advice indeed

I do not actually deep fry as such in my case it was looking for an alternative solution to putting it in a jar and landfill so both could be recycled
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal